Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #921

Do you think these are ok???http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300W-Led-Aqua...ht_7744wt_1002

Old 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #922
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I would get Kessil's at that price. You can get the a150 for that, although I prefer the a350

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #923
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Which lights are you speaking of exactly? Are we still talking about the Taotronics? If so, everything in my tank is growing like weeds. I would look to his water parameters.
Yes the taotronics, and his water parameters are perfect. Ive asked him about it before and he said his nitrates hang out around 5-10. And thats about it.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #924
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm using similar fixtures on my reef. I don't think anyone would claim I'm not growing lots of coral with them. The advice given is solid.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #925
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had my Taotronics TT-AL09 fixture for about a week now. I absolutely love it. It is quiet and runs extremely cool. Dual dimmer nobs give plenty of control. I was surprised by the quality too, this is a solid and clean looking fixture. My corals are happy(as much as I can see after only a week)
Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #926
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPadelski View Post

Yes the taotronics, and his water parameters are perfect. Ive asked him about it before and he said his nitrates hang out around 5-10. And thats about it.
He needs to figure out where his nitrates are coming from. If he feed 2-3 times a week with regular water changes it should be no problem keeping them around 0-2. 5-10 isn't crazy high but the lower the better. Check the skimmer also an make sure its the right size and doing its job correctly.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #927
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

With any real amount of livestock keeping nitrogen by products down by just doing PWC's can be a challenge. Even without a sump or refugium, I would start a small ball of chaeto on a lettuce clip in the back of the tank and prune it as needed. Fish enjoy it and I think it is the easiest macro algae to keep under control.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #928
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
With any real amount of livestock keeping nitrogen by products down by just doing PWC's can be a challenge. Even without a sump or refugium, I would start a small ball of chaeto on a lettuce clip in the back of the tank and prune it as needed. Fish enjoy it and I think it is the easiest macro algae to keep under control.
I agree. But they need to figure it out as that is part of having a large reef.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #929
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPadelski View Post
Something isn't right, and it's not the lighting.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #930
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I am using mostly non-dimmable units over my tank, since the dimmables weren't available back then, and yes, they are just as powerful, however the color is the color. In other words, you can adjust the amount of white and blue to make your tank look exactly the way you want, whereas I cannot. Luckily, I like the color as it is. Also, I can't keep some LPS happy under the fixtures at full strength, and I can't turn them down to accommodate.
Get the dimmable units.

the dimmables are nice, they allow you to dim the light to accomidate all sorts of corals, like Mr X said, but it also can give you a nice sunrise sunset effect for less stress on the fish an corals, its not a sudden lights out effect its a gradual dimming. some controllers also offer a daylight ability where blues and whites are at different intensities during the day the same way the sun is

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com