Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what are 90 degree optics? I can get them with or without, i feel as though I should but honestly i have no idea what they are...lol

The optics degree dictates how focused the diodes light is emitted. 90 will focus it a lot allowing for stronger light on the sandbed.

Reef breeders have a dimmable model for $180. With the reds and greens. Read some good reviews on them similar to taotronics for me it's between these two.

The optics degree dictates how focused the diodes light is emitted. 90 will focus it a lot allowing for stronger light on the sandbed.

While your here ;)

2 dimmable 120w or two 212w???

Help! And can I use that controller I posted earlier? Googled timers and found controllers, they look rad :)

Last edited:
Wow i want to jump on this too. I see a bunch of adds, some from america, that dont say taotronics. Are they just as good?

I was your situation too not long ago and these taotronic lights are awesome! They are affordable than any lights in the market and they do the job. I have the (no name) taotronics led dimmable fixture and theyre great! Dimmable is better because when you change your lights from the old one, you can adjust the intensity of these dimmable fixture to acclimate your corals.

I was your situation too not long ago and these taotronic lights are awesome! They are affordable than any lights in the market and they do the job. I have the (no name) taotronics led dimmable fixture and theyre great! Dimmable is better because when you change your lights from the old one, you can adjust the intensity of these dimmable fixture to acclimate your corals.
Ive been looking into these for a long time now, so they WILL grow sps and all corals?

I have Kessil LED in Ocean Blue on my 55reef, only needed one cuz it's a corner tank. They're nice, install easily with the crane neck thing. Color is beautiful and corals doin well, even the nem loves it. They're about $300 each with the crane neck holder. You'd probably need at least 2 over a 75g, and if thats not bright enough, you could add a 3rd down the road.
That being said, I've heard really good things about the taotronics LEDs and I'm thinking I'm going to try those for my 125g that I'm planning on this year.

sorry to hijack your thread but I just took the plunge and ordered 2 120w multi color dimmable units for my 39 inch tank. Question, I'm going to assume these are way more light than my 4 bulbT5 unit so when I get them going what percentage of the light should I dim it to? 50% to start and gradually turn it up?

This thread was awesome, I was just looking at radion led's at my lfs and 2 units was going to cost me over $1650 bucks before tax. I know they do storms and fade on during the day but I couldn't afford it, this seems like the next best thing!!!

sorry to hijack your thread but I just took the plunge and ordered 2 120w multi color dimmable units for my 39 inch tank. Question, I'm going to assume these are way more light than my 4 bulbT5 unit so when I get them going what percentage of the light should I dim it to? 50% to start and gradually turn it up?

This thread was awesome, I was just looking at radion led's at my lfs and 2 units was going to cost me over $1650 bucks before tax. I know they do storms and fade on during the day but I couldn't afford it, this seems like the next best thing!!!

I would start at like 20% and work your way up. Maybe even 10% to acclimate. I think your gonna be surprised at the penetration power of the light compared to fluorescents.

Checkout the kessil tuna blue 350w. Im going to use 2 of them to light my 90g reef with my tax money!

Yes Kessil. If your looking for quality and performance at a reasonable price look no further than kessil. I currently run the A350 over my 29g reef. No complaints, and ive been through countless lights in my years.

The chinese fixture have some great reviews but they also have bad ones the biggest thing i hear about them besides the many people questioning their spectral output is that they run hot and and the fans are also noisy.

Just dont forget that taotronics manufacturer cuts a number of corners to have such a low priced product. Im assuming there is a very logical reason why large brand name companies have refused to jump on the cheap LED bandwagon and slap their logo on a cheap fixture.

Run hot? That's not true. I don't hear the fans running any louder than the T5 fixtures I used to use.
The corners cut are the obvious- not as controllable as the others, not as much advertising, not as many options..
Many are slapping their names on these fixtures. Reefbreeders being one of them.
I believe these are not "cheap", but priced reasonably. The others are price gouging IMO. Offering unnecessary options to make their fixtures sound better than the next guy.
I have 5 of these. 4 non-dimmable, first generation units, and 1 dimmable unit. All are working well and making my tank look great, with very little heat and half the wattage I was using prior.
This is not rocket science. Reef lighting needs to:
1-be powerful enough to keep your photosynthetic creatures
2- produce a light that's pleasing to the eye

These fixtures do both of these things

LED lighting needs to be efficient per watt.
These fixtures also accomplish this.

Jessica, you only need the 120 watt ones.

Last edited:
Run hot? That's not true. I don't hear the fans running any louder than the T5 fixtures I used to use.

Compared to a T5 that may be true but not compared to a quality LED. And as for the heat yes, there is a reason this fixture runs 3 computer fans, because it runs hot. The manufacturer even states they run each 3w diode at 2 watts to match the cooling system while also extending lifespan.

So why 3 cooling fans when every brand name led only requires for the most part only heatsinks.

Read here
http://aquariumopinions.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/taotronics-skyled-led-light-reviews/

My point being they run hot and loud for LED's and also use more energy with less useful energy output.

The corners cut are the obvious- not as controllable as the others, not as much advertising, not as many options..
Many are slapping their names on these fixtures. Reefbreeders being one of them.
I believe these are not "cheap", but priced reasonably. The others are price gouging IMO. Offering unnecessary options to make their fixtures sound better than the next guy.
I have 5 of these. 4 non-dimmable, first generation units, and 1 dimmable unit. All are working well and making my tank look great, with very little heat and half the wattage I was using prior.
This is not rocket science. Reef lighting needs to:
1-be powerful enough to keep your photosynthetic creatures
2- produce a light that's pleasing to the eye

These fixtures do both of these things

LED lighting needs to be efficient per watt.
These fixtures also accomplish this.

Jessica, you only need the 120 watt ones.

I agree that once name brands start putting their name on it the price increases drastically. Even if you go on reef breeders if you want 90 degree optics you have to pay more for it but you get it if you buy the one on ebay.

Im thinking about these lights too and might buy them.

do you have to hang taotronics? can you sit them on a glass canopy?

Yes you could do that but remember to clean the glass frequently to avoid any calcium or salt deposits which will decrease the amount of light reaching the tank.

Mr-X is right. I started importing these fixtures before Taotronics flooded the market with them. I tested them and so did Mr-X with our PAR meters and found them very suitable for any coral. All LED emitters need a good heat sink. Some use fans, some use large fixtures with heat dissipating fins. I find the cost difference of less than $200 shipped compared to a Radion at $750 is worth a tiny bit of fan noise. Yes, some emitters are more finely tune to specific frequencies, but I doubt your coral will notice. I run over 1000 watts with these panels for several years now. Nobody has ever complained that I lack coral.

Yes you could do that but remember to clean the glass frequently to avoid any calcium or salt deposits which will decrease the amount of light reaching the tank.

cool. how would you go about setting them up to a timer?

sorry for threadjack. debating between t5's and leds myself.

Just plug it right into a timer and set it lol I like the brinks timers from Walmart. Real cheap and I've yet to have any of my 5 fail or fall out of sync with the rest.. something I cant say for all the brands haha

Just plug it right into a timer and set it lol I like the brinks timers from Walmart. Real cheap and I've yet to have any of my 5 fail or fall out of sync with the rest.. something I cant say for all the brands haha

so the fixture plugs into the timer and the timer plugs into an outlet? sorry, I'm sure it's obvious, but I've never used one.

Back
Top Bottom