Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would mean that with both knobs turned all the way up, you are going to get a 14k look. with the whites turned down a bit you would get a higher k look, and vice versa. I just ordered one of these. I'll report my findings.

It would mean that with both knobs turned all the way up, you are going to get a 14k look. with the whites turned down a bit you would get a higher k look, and vice versa. I just ordered one of these. I'll report my findings.

Please do; looking forward to it

Ok. Order and Paypal invoice was paid on Jan. 3rd to Reefbreeders. No tracking number or "shipped" notice as of yet. I asked for a tracking number on the 6th and I got "What is your paypal email, and what did you order." back. I replied with that info and haven't heard back yet.
Just a FYI.

I just read through this thread and I too only have 4 bulb t5 HO system. I'm interested in upgrading to these lights but I have a 55 g tank. Would I need two of these systems since it doesn't stretch across the 48"? It only seems like they can be hung. Can anyone find 48" with this system that mounts on top of the tank?

I wondering about this too because i have a 48" long 90gal and i have two of these units. Im wondering if i should get a 3rd unit. My concern is that the tank is 24" tall. (Sorry to hi jack this thread).

Na. 2 of them is plenty. I use 1 every 2 feet of tank and it lights perfect. My tank is also 25" deep.

Also the freshwater application a lot different from Saltwater. You will need at least Royal blue in the LED fixture if not violet so at least provide some spectrum between 350 to 450nm. The so call Violet/purple. I don't think the UV will make a day and nite different but good to have, however most companies don't use them cuz UV are the most expensive LED and UV don't really make a huge different to human eyes so to those casual people that only care about how the tank "looks" won't accept the extra cost on the UV chips

Thanks for the update mr X. Still following along. Hoping to get feedback before February, as my girlfriend is going to get me lights. I know that is out of your control though!

Reefbreeders is a solid unit in the best bang for your buck category. Its visually pleasing with more colored lights and has a 2 year warranty (all repairs done in the states), which is why i am ok with the extra $30 cost compared to the taotronics. I think its one of the reason behind the price difference. I have some pics on the reefbreeders thread, which reminds me that i need to post pics of my coral under reefbreeders value fixture.

In 5 years we will start seeing crees (or some other similar quality LED) in these chinese fixtures ;-)
If my reefbreeders fixture breaks down on me in 5 years, I will still be buying these improved version of the best bang for your buck fixtures

Edit: thanks Frank the aQ LED guy for helping me pick my light

I just read through this thread and I too only have 4 bulb t5 HO system. I'm interested in upgrading to these lights but I have a 55 g tank. Would I need two of these systems since it doesn't stretch across the 48"? It only seems like they can be hung. Can anyone find 48" with this system that mounts on top of the tank?

Tommy,
Buildmyled.com makes ones that can sit on the glass. They also have excellent results and are less than $300 for one 48" but you may need 2 they can help you with that.

I will be going with those. No one I know has complained about them.

Just been following wanted to say thanks this thread has helped a lot !

I've heard from a reliable source that sitting taotronics/reefbreeders on a glass canopy would probably work. Then I heard from another source that it probably would not. Would the light be too intense or not dispersed enough? I cannot hang these lights.

Thanks Mai ill look into this. I wanted sometime that mounts on the sides because I don't have a glass top at this time. I have the egg crates on the top.

Back
Top Bottom