Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I read about the goose neck option. This will take some serious consideration and I'm planning on running a 40 gallon once I get the hang of this 10G. I've heard larger is better, but it's also more $$ and the wife would be unhappy if I just dove right into this new hobby. I suppose I should be thankful that most trips to the lfs are only about $30.

I'm looking for a lighting system that will be usable on a 40G as well. The Taotronics look great and well built, the price on those almost seems to good to be true. Anybody have much exp with those? It's looking like I'll have to design some sort of lighting rack for whatever I get, is that true or do they have stands for them as well?

Here is my setup. Every time I change the flow I get a sand storm. Working on that, however the refugium light is a $40 10w led flood light. The reef breeders light are on about 25%. Sorry for the cloudy storm.

Attachments

• image-3203768247.jpg
    image-3203768247.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image-577502509.jpg
    image-577502509.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 98
Yeah I read about the goose neck option. This will take some serious consideration and I'm planning on running a 40 gallon once I get the hang of this 10G. I've heard larger is better, but it's also more $$ and the wife would be unhappy if I just dove right into this new hobby. I suppose I should be thankful that most trips to the lfs are only about $30.

I'm looking for a lighting system that will be usable on a 40G as well. The Taotronics look great and well built, the price on those almost seems to good to be true. Anybody have much exp with those? It's looking like I'll have to design some sort of lighting rack for whatever I get, is that true or do they have stands for them as well?

I think Kessil 150a is a fine choice for you at this moment. You do pay a premiumn up front. however, I don't think you will regret wat you getting. However, keep in mind, it is 32W of LED doesn't matter what you think it is. By able to cover larger area, it is giving up a lot of PAR/light intensity at a bit deeper. You should read thru this before you purchase your Kessil 150
thoughts on kessil A150 Led... - Reef Central Online Community

I personally would suggest just get some lower cost light for your 10g and buy a brand new one for your 40g all together. That way you can choose the most approriate light fixture for the size of tank you are getting.

The Nano touch Icarry is great for Nano cube tank. But for a tank size at 20", you will fine some dimmer area on the sides. Have you consider to use PAR38 bulb for your tank? I think that is a similar option of the Kessil150 but much cheaper, about 80-90 per bulb with shipping

i also not a big fan of flood light. The main reason is the lack of specification of the light itself provided. you won't know the spectrum nor the exact par reading. Just because it is bright doesn't mean it is right.

I think Kessil 150a is a fine choice for you at this moment. You do pay a premiumn up front. however, I don't think you will regret wat you getting. However, keep in mind, it is 32W of LED doesn't matter what you think it is. By able to cover larger area, it is giving up a lot of PAR/light intensity at a bit deeper. You should read thru this before you purchase your Kessil 150
thoughts on kessil A150 Led... - Reef Central Online Community

I personally would suggest just get some lower cost light for your 10g and buy a brand new one for your 40g all together. That way you can choose the most approriate light fixture for the size of tank you are getting.

The Nano touch Icarry is great for Nano cube tank. But for a tank size at 20", you will fine some dimmer area on the sides. Have you consider to use PAR38 bulb for your tank? I think that is a similar option of the Kessil150 but much cheaper, about 80-90 per bulb with shipping

Lot's of good options there thanks for chiming in. I will look into both of those options. What is PAR? I'm just learning about the lights, please excuse my ignorance.

If I'm going to use LED's then they need to be at least 3 watts each and cover the whole tank. And the blues are just for looks right? I should go with whites?

Lot's of good options there thanks for chiming in. I will look into both of those options. What is PAR? I'm just learning about the lights, please excuse my ignorance.

If I'm going to use LED's then they need to be at least 3 watts each and cover the whole tank. And the blues are just for looks right? I should go with whites?

Here is a quick explaintion of PAR vs PUR I copy from a freshwater forum, but it pretty much sums it up very nicely.

Photosynthetically Available Radiation (PAR) is defined as the amount of radiant energy available within the approximate spectral range of 350 to 750 nm (Tyler 1966). Instruments commonly used in studies of photosynthesis are PAR meters; that is, they report 400J700 I,h) or total PAR.
Photosynthetically Usable Radiation (PUR) is defined as
the fraction of photosynthetically available radiant energy of such wavelengths that it can be absorbed by the algal and plant pigments(in this case, coral). Light is selectively absorbed by most algae in the blue and red regions of the
spectrum, causing the transmitted light to be concentrated in regions of the spectrum where algal pigment systems are ineffective at trapping light for photosynthesis (Sullivan et al. 1984). PUR is necessarily less than
PAR, and PUR will depend on both the pigment complement
of the microalgae and the spectral composition
of the available submersed radiant energy.

In general for reef tank,
most SPS(Acropora) require 200 ~ 550

some SPS(Montipora for example),Clam and LPS 150 ~ 250

Softies are 50~150

So let's say at 16" your PAR reading is around 150, that means at 16" deep, you can keep anything from soft coral to LPS.

For pic and Nano tank, you don't have to get 3w LED, as long as the LED fixture provides the right spectrum and PAR then you are all set.
Blue is very important for your corals, only keeping white LED will turn all your coral to brown because it is the wrong spectrum. Coral require somewhere between 380nm to 480nm spectrum to grow and be healthy, White LED has mainly 500nm to 700nm, which promote brown algae growth

Ok, I think I understood that. Basically I'm looking for a light that, at 16" will provide 200 - 500 PAR. 200 - 500 is the optimal range for a reef tank and it's important to have blue light for the LPS & SPS. Although the optimal range for coral is 380 - 480, perhaps 300 - 500 would be more of a target range. Did I get that right?

it is depend on your apploication, for your small tank, if you want to keep SPS, it would be more than just the lighting. You will need your tank has between 250 to 500 PAR thru out your tank. If you are only want to keep soft coral, any light that can privde you 50 PAR and up, but soft coral can't take on high par so keep it no higher than 200

My refugium flood light is 6500k. So I think it will be good.

I had a cf light Purchased from homedepot and my fuge for the longest time and my algae grow like nutts but that doesn't mean it is good for coral. Unless u can provide me with the actual reading, it will not prove anything. As I mention in some other threads, I am only given my opinion on best practice in stead of blindly chase the lowest cost product without any spec to bak it up. I spent enough money on my coral and don't want to risk to kill them (even slowly) just to save $50

Question for Mr. X

On the sand bed? Nothing on the sand bed needs 500 PAR. 150 at the sand bed is plenty IME.

Mr. X, I 've been looking around and found this light.
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-AL01-Aquarium-Output-Ratio-/dp/B0058RXPOS/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1361423065&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=taotronics+aquarium+lights

Can you give me your thoughts please. I believe it fits the criteria and seems like a good price. I like this light cause I think it will work well when I move up to a larger tank. Thanks in advance. :cool:

i also not a big fan of flood light. The main reason is the lack of specification of the light itself provided. you won't know the spectrum nor the exact par reading. Just because it is bright doesn't mean it is right.

I've had my floods for 4 months. Fish seem perfect and my corals are growing like weeds!

I've had my floods for 4 months. Fish seem perfect and my corals are growing like weeds!

Like I said, if I didn't make myself clear, just like using RO/DI water vs tap water, or light bulb changing vs no light bulb change, some people can grow everything with tap water only and never change their light bulbs, but that is not the best practice. Just because it is doing well doesn't mean anything. Because I am selling LED, I want to be responsible to my answer to ppl especially comes to something with nothing to back it up with. For the most time, I don't even 100% trust the manufacturer's spec. I tested everything that I carry, the PAR/LUX even getting them tested with spectrometer. I never rule out flood light is a possible solution, just from my prev post, I said i am not a "big fan" of it simply because there is nothing to back it up.If you can provide the PAR reading and also the spectrum they carry. I am very interest to see. However, before that , it doesn't convince me to suggest that as a solution to ppl

Mr. X, I 've been looking around and found this light.
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Can you give me your thoughts please. I believe it fits the criteria and seems like a good price. I like this light cause I think it will work well when I move up to a larger tank. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Yes that light will work for you, just going to be a bit challenge for you to put that on your 10g, like I said, your choice would be either over size for the 10g or under size for your 40g, I really don't think a single fixture can be perfect fit of your both tank

TaoTronics TT-AL01 Coral Reef Tank LED

Yes that light will work for you, just going to be a bit challenge for you to put that on your 10g, like I said, your choice would be either over size for the 10g or under size for your 40g, I really don't think a single fixture can be perfect fit of your both tank

When I first saw this light those were my thoughts, too big and too small, if/when I do move up in size I would need at least one more of these, but at least I'd be halfway there already. The nice thing is I can adjust the height of the light because I'm going to hang it from the ceiling. Then when I get to the larger tank I can make a hood or design something different to fit that one. Thanks for your response AQ.

:thanks:

Like I said, if I didn't make myself clear, just like using RO/DI water vs tap water, or light bulb changing vs no light bulb change, some people can grow everything with tap water only and never change their light bulbs, but that is not the best practice. Just because it is doing well doesn't mean anything. Because I am selling LED, I want to be responsible to my answer to ppl especially comes to something with nothing to back it up with. For the most time, I don't even 100% trust the manufacturer's spec. I tested everything that I carry, the PAR/LUX even getting them tested with spectrometer. I never rule out flood light is a possible solution, just from my prev post, I said i am not a "big fan" of it simply because there is nothing to back it up.If you can provide the PAR reading and also the spectrum they carry. I am very interest to see. However, before that , it doesn't convince me to suggest that as a solution to ppl

I understand ya. I wasn't saying that in any negative way. I was just saying mine seem to be doing good. I don't have a par meter. Wish I did. I was very nervous at first when I got these. But I'm coming around.. Only thing I c negative about floods is they don't cover the entire tank unless you can elevate them high so it reaches the sides

Back
Top Bottom