Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey "Gold Fusion" it only looks like that with a flash or direct light. I've been considering changing it, and now you've made me self-conscious... thanks! By the way the Zoo's have opened, and I picked up a new swimmer :dance:

Attachments

• Zoa 2.jpg
    Zoa 2.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Clown.jpg
    Clown.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 85
So I'm thinking about going for either taotronics or reefbreeders or some sort of low end led. I have a 56 gallon tank that is 24'' tall and 30'' long and 18'' deep. Would 2 dimmable 120W units be enough light to grow lps and sps? Also what ratio of blues to whites is preferred? Thank you I am a coral noob.

So I'm thinking about going for either taotronics or reefbreeders or some sort of low end led. I have a 56 gallon tank that is 24'' tall and 30'' long and 18'' deep. Would 2 dimmable 120W units be enough light to grow lps and sps? Also what ratio of blues to whites is preferred? Thank you I am a coral noob.

I'm not sure, get one see how it does and act accordingly

X is right on the search... There are A LOT of Chinese knock off's or actually TaoTronics is more than likely a Lot Purchase of the Chinese versions with his branding put on them. But the key is to make sure they are the Dimmable TaoTronics. Just copy the search parameters Mr. X has above and paste it in eBay's search box and view the results.

This way you don't get the non-dimmable options at all. Many people are using these lights and have great success with them. X is one of them.

Sorry X for jumping in here but just wanted to +1 your post above.

Cheers Everyone!
Tom

Hey "Gold Fusion" it only looks like that with a flash or direct light. I've been considering changing it, and now you've made me self-conscious... thanks! By the way the Zoo's have opened, and I picked up a new swimmer :dance:

Love that Goldband Maroon clown. It's very nice looking. How is it eating for you? Sometimes they can be picky after moving to a new system, but once they do start eating... THEY ARE PIGGIES.. :fish1:

You know they are kinda bullies too. Once they get bigger that is. And that is my experience with them. I had put one in a 60 gallon Corner Tank I had and it pretty much kicked every butt in the tank, so much so, I finally just had to get her, her own tank... she had the life though... 40 breeder and a long tentacle nem all to herself kept her for 12 years and then she crossed over...

But that is the best coloring of the Maroons by far IMO!

Take it easy,
Tom

Well, a single fixture should be good for an easy 2 x 2 square, but for a 30" tank, i would want to raise it up quite a bit or get 2. The area with the actual diodes is around 11", so 2 will fit over your tank but you don't necessarily need 2, providing you put the higher light stuff towards the center. i would buy one and see how it goes.

Well, a single fixture should be good for an easy 2 x 2 square, but for a 30" tank, i would want to raise it up quite a bit or get 2. The area with the actual diodes is around 11", so 2 will fit over your tank but you don't necessarily need 2, providing you put the higher light stuff towards the center. i would buy one and see how it goes.

+1 on that!
That's what I was thinking too! Start w/ 1 and raise it up a bit more to get the coverage. I would probably just put the lower light requiring corals around that area, some Zoas, or Palys, and some mushrooms would probably do well in that zone if not on sand bed then up on the rocks a bit and you should be fine.

Hope that gives you something to ponder. Good luck!
Tom

Well not to detour from the subject, my question is, what is everyone using as light for their refugiums? My Fuge is 16 inches tall 10 inches deep and 8 inches wide. Any help it ideas would be appreciated. All that would be kept in it is algae and maybe some low light corals such as mushrooms. Thanks for the input.

I have a simple cfl bulb lamp. 17 W I think. But I don't ever plan on corals in my fuge. The cheato is growing like crazy tho.

I have a simple cfl bulb lamp. 17 W I think. But I don't ever plan on corals in my fuge. The cheato is growing like crazy tho.

Any heat come off that? My stand is enclosed...

Something like this should be fine-
img_2371898_0_de009690a65d71fde112f47430a0d369.jpg

It will produce a little heat, but I don't think it will be a big deal.
If not, you could always get one of these from Home Depot or Lowes-
img_2371898_1_d1a8267a53e4cc1194b5d0897f9775ad.jpg

I use the cfl bulb just how mr. X shows.. Works greats, heat is not a factor just make sure to change the bulbs relatively often

Thanks guys, just out of curiosity. Does anyone use stunner strips? Kinda looking for something that will last a long time as this Fuge light will probably never turn off.

I've heard good things about the stunner strips from people putting them in Nano's and larger reefs. I thought the Refugiums were opposite schedule from the DT???

Yes but this is more of a grow tank and has a grip load of nutrients so I'm aiming to keep them in 24/7

You can get a 10w 6000k floodlight from eBay to light the fuge. They work well and don't need replacement bulbs. I setup my brother's fuge with one 6000k and one royal blue because he wants to use the refugium to grow out frags. When there aren't any frags in the sump he just runs the one daylight for cheato. For about 14 bucks they're hard to beat considering they come with a waterproof housing. You do have to instal the plug yourself but that's a cakewalk.

Back
Top Bottom