Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I'm not home tiger now but when I do get home ill post some pics of my hanging kit and it's supper easy to use :)

Mine didnt come with the hanging kit so I went to Home Depot and bought everything there for about 10 bucks

when I went to home depot I had to find everything myself there employees are just so lacking of any education and customer service skills it's really a shame

They are basically 4 wires attached to clips and one large ring or carabiner at the other end. There aren't any adjustments.

Lights finally showed up I caught the delivery guy trying to Ninja away from the house, looks like im off to buy some better hanging kits the one it comes with leaves the lights about 4ft above my tank, which means I only need one to cover 6 feet of tank! :rolleyes:

Lights finally showed up I caught the delivery guy trying to Ninja away from the house, looks like im off to buy some better hanging kits the one it comes with leaves the lights about 4ft above my tank, which means I only need one to cover 6 feet of tank! :rolleyes:

Yes and no, at the end of the day, it is depend on what you keeping, the higher you place your light, u are sacrificed output for coverage. You will need to find the balance for it. Also I can't imagine a 6" tank doesn't have a bracer in the middle

My 6 foot tank is eurobraced so it does not have a center brace and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I was just joking about how the hanging kit that comes with them is very small.

My 6 foot tank is eurobraced so it does not have a center brace and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I was just joking about how the hanging kit that comes with them is very small.
lol i know, i was gonna add "unless it was being sarcas." all good hehe

installed new light today still need to pick up tinting for the window above I seen a sea shell tint at home depot I'm thinking about getting

img_2409240_0_554c08b357a2d030df593094865611ad.jpg

Question for yall, i am going to pick up a marineland corner flo 75 gallon with sump and stand and pump, its a marineland tank, my question is will my 239w 6 bulb 36" t5 fixture be okay to support my nem and acro frag i have in my 40 gallon? I want to transfer the stock from my 40 to the 75

If you keep the acro and the anemone at the same distance from the lamps as they were before, yes, but you mean this to be temporary, correct? You are going to want lighting that is suitable for a 4' tank ultimately.

Just got mine hung up after a trip to the hardware store and a bit of playing around, this is roughly how they will be.

First is just the whites, second is whites/blues.

All on 100% just to see how they look

Attachments

• ledlights.jpg
    ledlights.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 107
  • ledlights2.jpg
    ledlights2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 122
installed new light today still need to pick up tinting for the window above I seen a sea shell tint at home depot I'm thinking about getting

Can you show me more how you going your lights and tell me a little more how you did what you did ?

Beautiful tank Magma. What are the dimensions? I would love to see how it progresses as you stock it.

72x20x20 on the main display with a central overflow and 2 returns (one on each end) Sump is 60L x 16.5W x 16.5H.

Hoping to have the tank setup and ready to go before august, but its already sat in my living room for almost a year...

Can you show me more how you going your lights and tell me a little more how you did what you did ?
img_2410329_0_554c08b357a2d030df593094865611ad.jpg

since I built my own stand it was a bit easier to mount the light hanger
I added a brace on either side to hold the wooden dowel in place and to be the main support I also used 2 flag pole brackets
I cut the dowel into 3 36 inch sections I found 2 pvc elbows that I screwed into dowels for the bend
the 2 posts are basically mounted like a flag pole on the sides
so it can be removed when working on the tank
I was surprised how sturdy it was and just worked out perfect
nothing fancy just a little well thought out planing(y)
I used the cable hangers over the post to hang light I also added 2 little brads to keep the cable from slipping from side to side holding light straight

My tank has a canopy over it. Can these lights be put under it?

Attachments

• image-3696464800.jpg
    image-3696464800.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom