Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since I built my own stand it was a bit easier to mount the light hanger
I added a brace on either side to hold the wooden dowel in place and to be the main support I also used 2 flag pole brackets
I cut the dowel into 3 36 inch sections I found 2 pvc elbows that I screwed into dowels for the bend
the 2 posts are basically mounted like a flag pole on the sides
so it can be removed when working on the tank
I was surprised how sturdy it was and just worked out perfect
nothing fancy just a little well thought out planing(y)
I used the cable hangers over the post to hang light I also added 2 little brads to keep the cable from slipping from side to side holding light straight

Will you post pics of the side of your tank ?? Please

Here ya go.

Attachments

• image-118882887.jpg
    image-118882887.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3127618149.jpg
    image-3127618149.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3415532276.jpg
    image-3415532276.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 135
FlopNewsom said:
My tank has a canopy over it. Can these lights be put under it?

One way to mount Chinese LED panels in that type of hood would be to cut out rectangles in the hood top so the wires, dimmer knobs and switches are accessible. It's a good choice for functionality and ventilation but it's extreme. Otherwise you can just mount them inside the hood. Just make sure you don't pinch the power cords and you can still get your hand in to reach the dimmers.

Yes, that's what I would do also. They pull air from above and it comes out the sides, so I would want to pull fresh, less humid air from outside the canopy if possible. This would serve 2 purposes....bringing fresh air to the tank, and keeping the fans and such from coming in contact with moist air.

Thanks for this thread, I was wondering about these lights and your posts have answered all of my questions, I think I'll be ordering some.

I never understand why they don't make the wires come out of the back of the fixture. So much more easy to work with and looks 100% better.

I never understand why they don't make the wires come out of the back of the fixture. So much more easy to work with and looks 100% better.

Right angle plugs will give you almost the same effect. I plan on using them instead of the supplied plugs.

Most people are hanging them with the supplied hanging hardware, so it would make sense to have the plugs up there. The top of the unit has to be free of obstructions for the most part anyway. I guess it all depends on your application.

I dont think your going to see cheaper anytime soon, as for mounting they are pretty easy to do, just takes a little bit extra if you cant drill into your roof.

So far I can see that once you buy 3 fans, like shown, you'll be almost at the price of the Tao units. Secondly, there are 64 LEDs, but only 16 of them are blues. The tank will be bright, but not nearly enough blue IMO. The unit states that it has lenses, so I would want to see it in person before I purchased it. Who knows what the spread is on them. Comparing Tao's (or similar) over a 48" tank, you will have 110 LEDs and they will be dimmable. This unit in the link is not dimmable. Also, I don't see anything about 2 cords, so I am led to believe there is only 1, and you just adjust things with a switch. No morning/evening transition unless you do it manually.

Good point. Now, since the led technology is supposed to run cooler do you think a fan would really be necessary or pretty much have to try it out I guess. That's a good point as well about the less blues. I'm glad I share things here first before any decisions are made.

Is there any single led fixture that can light a 75 gallon corner flo?

just by looking at different options I am not sure if this was posted here yet, if it was I am really sorry, what about this:
48" 50" Aquarium LED Light Lunar Hard Soft Coral Fish Reef Tank 3W x 64 New | eBay
This fixture has 4 cons.
1. You need a glass canopy that becomes obscured when salt water solidifies.
2. Runs hot without the 3 fans.
3. No timers which means you must be around at exact time to turn on/off switches.
4. The power supply (adapter) runs hot that can easily breakdown without a fan.

For those of you who have hoods this is what I did. I used the existing hanging kit that came with light and drilled two 3/8 holes centered front to back over light

image-1871106056.jpg

image-3573310574.jpg

Then ran hanging cables up thru holes and run over towards other side. Then used a screw to pin it down where I wanted it

image-2801657961.jpg

image-2864608320.jpg

Doing it this way I was able to angle the lights slightly to accommodate for my 12 in wide center support so I didn't get any shadowing.
My next step in this to make it better is going to be cutting in ventilation slots over fans so they pull fresh air instead of pulling moist salty air.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom