Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
<----is wondering how many emails jess1ca gets a day since she started this thread....lmao.as far as hanging them....there are so many options to choose from,either the traditional way from the ceiling,in a custom built canopy,bending electrical conduit or hanging it from the wall behind the tank with a flower pot hanger...creativity goes a long way in this hobby

Thanks fellas , because of this thread I took the jump into LED's. This is how I had to mount mine.

Attachments

• image-459071524.jpg
    image-459071524.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image-4202123245.jpg
    image-4202123245.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 135
48x 20x18

I don't know of a single fixture that will cover a 48" span, I would go with two of these taotronics dimmable that everyone is using. I found them for around 160 online.

Jumping back in here, many on my earlier posts are in the 50's pages. I just picked up a 40g breeder and will be getting at least one more Tao Dimmable LED set-up, but more likely two. My 10g is just exploding w/ growth and I'm seeing new things every day. I'm an LED believer. Hey X, thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks fellas , because of this thread I took the jump into LED's. This is how I had to mount mine.
Looks awesome...if you want to take it a step further you can build a nice canopy like I did

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 112
so it's basically a frame built around the case ?
I like that,
does it help with glare from light spilling out at all over

so it's basically a frame built around the case ?
I like that,
does it help with glare from light spilling out at all over

As far as the glare i could have made it alittle bigger to block some of it .my unit didnt come with optic lenses so I bought 90 degree lenses and installed them myself..what a difference.my whole living room lit up bright before that.this photo is before the lenses

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 95
holy crap batman...what a change!

where did you buy the optics (and what are the dimensions on your tank)? I have a 20 gallon that i'm setting up and will need to buy a tao unit for, and i'm trying to figure the best height for it based on the available optics.

I made it a little larger to let the exhaust out..eventually I'm going to cut pieces on an angle to direct the exhaust down

I know these lights produce a little heat when they're cranked up, you concerned about evaporation or extra temps at the surface level?

The dimensions of the tank are 20x20x20 I bought mine on eBay for 14 bucks only problem was they where shipped from china...but they arrived in 5 days so it wasn't too bad.as far as the height off the water mine is 9 inches but each tank is different.it all depends on what kind of coral you have....I have mostly sps and being that the tank is only 20 inches high I had to experiment on what is best for the coral

Here's the link from where I got mine....I made them an offer for 55 of them for 15 bucks and like I said I received mine in 5 days and there super easy to take the unit apart and install them with double face tape which I had to buy.i bought the 90 degree cause of my setup but they have other degrees.the only problem I had was that I couldn't put the screws that hold the led board
50x Led Lens 90 Degree For 1w 3w Lamp & White Holder | eBay

awesome, thanks for the lead :) your tank is about the same width as mine, so I might have to get tighter optics for the LEDs on the perimeter (maybe 60 degree), and 90 degree ones for the middle LEDs.

have to see if I can find them , they prob would help
yup going SPS this time my tank is a 40B 16Hx18Dx36L
light right now sits about 10inches above the water no real shadowing just all the spill over light picts are in the link in signature below if it helps any

I know these lights produce a little heat when they're cranked up, you concerned about evaporation or extra temps at the surface level?

Compared to the metal halide I use to run the evaporation rate is cut 3/4 percent less,but I'm still acclimating the corals to the lights.i have a chiller hooked up to the tank and it use to kick on 3 times an hour....now it kicks on maybe once or twice a day....

Back
Top Bottom