Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did you get yours from that come w/ a 2 year warranty? I'd definitely buy them. I can't justify the cost of a Vertex system...

Where did you get yours from that come w/ a 2 year warranty? I'd definitely buy them. I can't justify the cost of a Vertex system...

He probably went with the reef breeders unit.

He probably went with the reef breeders unit.

I actually got the Tao 120 Dimmable LED Unit off Amazon. If you can find it for less more power to ya, but I like dealing w/ amazon, they actually back the consumer. I really don't understand why people are so down on the lights, all they do is turn on and off and hang. They're quiet and produce little heat. I really don't see the argument. X has like 6 of these units and recommended them to me. I really don't know what else to say about them.

I'm not down on them at all. I just want to make sure I won't be replacing them after a few months of use, and from the sounds of it, I won't be. I'm always one for a bargain, and if something does the job just as well as something else, but for 1/4 the price...it's a no brainer.

Now I just gotta figure out how to smuggle it into the house past the wife without her noticing ;-)

I'm not down on them at all. I just want to make sure I won't be replacing them after a few months of use, and from the sounds of it, I won't be. I'm always one for a bargain, and if something does the job just as well as something else, but for 1/4 the price...it's a no brainer.

Now I just gotta figure out how to smuggle it into the house past the wife without her noticing ;-)

Ha! That is a problem we all face my friend! My wife notices even when I change food! As George Lopez states "I can't do nothing!"

Dewivery's

Ha! That is a problem we all face my friend! My wife notices even when I change food! As George Lopez states "I can't do nothing!"

Have it delivered to your office. (y)

Just put my new reef breeders in to replace my maxspect razor, I'll post how it goes once they are in for awhile.

Attachments

• image-319217553.jpg
    image-319217553.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image-824304177.jpg
    image-824304177.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 102
How far from the top of my tank should I have my lights? Right now it's sitting on the frame

Just be cautious, there is some junk out there. I would consider buying from a known source. If you want cheap, but works, Taotronics is hard to beat and they have a track record.

Ultraviolet light will harm corals. Corals defense to this light is getting more colorful, but if you read back a few pages, I posted a link to an article where this theory was tested and they found no benefit to exposing corals to actual ultraviolet light (not to be confused with violet colored light). Take your UV sterilizer, remove the lamp, and put it over your tank and see what happens. It's not going to be beneficial.

So basically what youre saying is these led fixtures with the UVs isnt worth it. Www.fathomled.com. Look at the hydra series.

Live aquaria said it best. UV light does penetrate seawater and has a definite effect on the algae in the coral. But it actually works for me better with violet LEDs. The colors are better. Coral could care less.

Color change due to UV light
In nature, ultraviolet light waves (UV-A and UV-B) penetrate the ocean's surface but are filtered out as the light travels through the water. Both UV-A and UV-B light waves have been found to cause destruction of DNA and RNA within coral tissue. In response, many corals have made adaptations to reduce the effects of these harmful rays. These corals developed protective pigments that are often blue, purple, or pink in color. Most corals that contain these pigments come from shallow waters where the amount of UV-A and UV-B light is higher than in deeper areas of the reef.

In home reef aquariums that rely on metal halide lighting, it is important to protect corals from UV light. Coral without these protective pigments as well as shallow water corals that may have lost their pigments during transportation are especially susceptible to the effects of UV light. Fortunately, preventing any UV light from entering the aquarium is as simple as employing glass aquarium canopies and making sure the protective glass lens on the metal halide fixture is properly installed.

It is not uncommon for corals with these bright colors to adjust to the lower UV-A and UV-B conditions found within home aquariums. The loss of colorful pigmentation is not necessarily a sign of an unhealthy coral - it is simply a normal coral adjusting to its new environment.

It is a common misconception among many hobbyists that color changes in newly received coral is an indication of unhealthy coral. Many times the color change is merely the result of corals adjusting to the new lighting intensity, spectrum, and change in UV light. With this in mind, it is important to consider the color of newly received corals and understand their lighting requirements. Be sure to properly acclimate corals to new lighting conditions and allow time for them to establish their coloration.

I looked at the Hydra series and don't see anything about UV. I see them offering a 415-420nm chip, but that's simply violet in color, not ultraviolet. The Cree chips they are using are said to be very good however. I'm sure this unit will do all sorts of cool stuff, but The best bang for the buck? That's ultimately up to you.
If you are asking if the 415-420 chip is worth the extra money....in my experience, I would say it's completely unnecessary and only worth it if you want some violet in the tank.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money to grow corals. I'd rather buy a cheaper unit and more corals ;)

Just google "taotronics dimmable led aquarium light"

+1 on that, but as we discussed on another thread, the full spectrum lighting (with violet and a few red LEDs) does nothing to enhance coral growth, but it does warm the light up and cause the corals to have better color depth IMO. Can't hardly go wrong with the Taotronics for what they cost. But if you want to spend more for a domestic fixture using Cree emitters, I have had excellent luck with Rapid LED.

So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?

So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?

Pretty sure those lights are cosmetic, but I'm no expert. Sounds like not enough blues or power for your corals, might be ok for the more hardy types. I'd invest in something a bit more proven. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will be chiming in soon.

Back
Top Bottom