Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking into the taotronics on eBay, the dimmable ones. Since I have a 4ft tank I need 2 units. Was just looking to cut corners price wise with the similar specs and just wanted to clarify that. I have my tank against the wall in my bedroom. Half the tank is in front of my closet door and the other half is in front of the wall. I was planning on hanging them from the wall but can't because of this reason.

So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?

Most first generation aquarium LEDs produced about 70 lumen per watt. Modern and more efficient LEDs are now exceeding 130-150 lumen per watt (Cree). Bridgelux are good too, but Cree are better. These Marineland are about 53 lumen per watt. Crap.
Lumen is a measurement of total light transmitted, while PAR is measuring the light in the Photosynthetic range only (a better measurement).

Final thing on light, it doesn't matter ANYTHING about how many point sources you have for the light. That is to say, if you have 3 x 1 watt LEDs that have the same efficiency as 1 x 3 watt LED which then produce the same amount of PAR at the combined source, they will have IDENTICAL, SAME, MATCHING, EQUAL light penetration at 24" under water. Anybody who says anything different does not know anything about light transmission.
That being said, most 3 watt LEDs are more efficient than 1 watt LEDs.

I only bring this up because every now and then someone makes the incorrect statement that comparable 3 watt LEDs will penetrate better than 3 1 Watt LEDs, as if light were a bullet. WRONG!!!

Glad you pointed that out Ingy.. I assumed what you just said was the correct answer but was never sure.

That is a true statement, but point sources create more shadows and mix the light not as well. For example I have panels rated at 120 watts that have 60 blue and white emitters and some panels that have fewer higher power emitters to make the same amount of light. Depending on the lenses, you can have a situation where you have blue edged shadows. More emitters allows for better color mixing. But that's the only advantage.

Comparison of LEDs must be of same colors and not combination of whites and blues. Lights are photons and considering same wattage and efficiency they should have equal intensity or PAR regardless of the number of emitters. The old rule for aquarium light is even measured in watts per gallon. Meaning you can put several combination of bulbs as long as you satisfy the rule. In addition all lights travel at the same speed. In simple term the intensity is cumulative.

So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?
This light is good just for soft corals only that is why they emphasize "reef capable". Now if you have 3 of this, you can grow sps and lps. The only problem is that the fixture and power supply over heats aside from being expensive. The only thing I like about it is the timer cause you can set the blue and white separately.

Why with the taotronics do you need 2 units for a 4ft tank? Is there anyway to get away with 1 unit centered?

Why with the taotronics do you need 2 units for a 4ft tank? Is there anyway to get away with 1 unit centered?

You might be ok w/ 1 light, but you'll likely get some fall off at the edges. Try it with one and see how it works. I've got it centered over my 40b (36"s wide). I don't know if there would be that much fall off 6"s either way. I think the idea of 2 units over the 4 feet is for consistent lighting.
(y)

You might be ok w/ 1 light, but you'll likely get some fall off at the edges. Try it with one and see how it works. I've got it centered over my 40b (36"s wide). I don't know if there would be that much fall off 6"s either way. I think the idea of 2 units over the 4 feet is for consistent lighting.
(y)

Thanks for that. I may have to go with 1 for now at least see how it looks than I can always add a second.

Would this be good enough for a 40g

Attachments

• image-3387006262.jpg
    image-3387006262.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 101

(y)

Thanks for that. I may have to go with 1 for now at least see how it looks than I can always add a second.

This is what my tank looks like. Tao is 15"s above top of tank, whites and blues are both about 50% give or take. I centered a 4' level on the tank, I bet with the lights turned up it would work well. I'd start with one and see how the corals like it.

Attachments

• Lightingt.jpg
    Lightingt.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 99
Would this be good enough for a 40g

Some simle math based on the light details;

28 LEDs at 3W each = 84 W

3100Lm / 84w = 36.9 lm/w

That is LOW. Not just low, but very low.
BridgeLux are producing aquarium LEDs around 120 lm/W and Cree are even better.
And that does not account for PAR values, and with a 20:8 White:Actinic ratio, which is low (50:50 seems to be preferred), the PAR values will be even lower.
Other issues: single switch/plug limiting to not switching actinic on before whites. Price?
I doubt that would support a full array of SPS/clams/anemones in a 40 gal, 16" deep tank.

If you plan to grow anything more than softies not directly under the lights, your not going to get much growth if any. Directly under depending on depth and optics you should alright. I am upgrading a 30 inch tank I have to a 3 foot 60 and I can tell you right now, I am going with two with 90 optics units. These lights are good but I would use the recommended amount for your tank, which is two units.

If you plan to grow anything more than softies not directly under the lights, your not going to get much growth if any. Directly under depending on depth and optics you should alright. I am upgrading a 30 inch tank I have to a 3 foot 60 and I can tell you right now, I am going with two with 90 optics units. These lights are good but I would use the recommended amount for your tank, which is two units.

Currently I have a handful of corals. I have a torch, frogspawn, hammer, candycane, pulsing xenia, some zoas, branching goni, open brain, bubble coral, duncan coral, and variety of mushrooms. Probably some others I am forgetting. I guess I'll have to either keep the 4 bulb t5 I have now, or splurge for the 2 units like I originally was planning on doing. I feel if I'm going to have to spend the money to replace the bulbs or upgrade to a 6 or 8 bulb unit may as well spend the money 1 time and go for the LEDs. Sounds most logical. I just have to keep telling myself that the lighting system is not something to cut corners. I just don't want to spend $300 for 2 units :hide:

Just a thought.... if anyone has ever tried or experimented mirrors as reflectors in the tank. With one narrow or square fixture like the Taotronics reflecting the lights where your want them to go. Might be cumbersome but can save you some amount.

Just a thought.... if anyone has ever tried or experimented mirrors as reflectors in the tank. With one narrow or square fixture like the Taotronics reflecting the lights where your want them to go. Might be cumbersome but can save you some amount.

That's an excellent idea. If anyone has done this please let me know how so I only need to spend half lol.

They don't have optics. The spread is excellent.

They don't have optics. The spread is excellent.

Doug, do you think since the spread is so great that I can get away with 1 unit for my 55? I feel that with your experience maybe I can do the 1 unit? Most of my corals are centered anyway.

You may be the first to experiment it Tom. Just hang 2 mirrors of same dimension as Taotronics at same height on both sides. Just tilt these mirrors reflecting the water surface below Taotronics back to both far sides of tank. Im pretty sure it will help brighten up those areas.

Back
Top Bottom