Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks. Well time to go home now.... Sure has been nice that the boss leaving early can catch up on my reading... LOL

I just covered the red LEDs on my multicolored (reefbreeders) fixture, because that's the only part of my system where I have algae. Cyano and some thick brown stuff is all over the sump with the rb fixture over it, but the rest of the system including the DT is spotless now, with just the straight blue and white units.

I don't think those few red LEDs have anything to do with the algae. Granted, red is just as powerful for photosynthetic processes as blue spectrum (both in algaes and in corals that use Chlorophyll A). But you have so few of them. A real test would be to switch the fixture to another algae free tank and see what happens.

How can blue LEDs stimulate photosynthesis and not grow algae as well as a red LED? Nuisance algae isn't selective to a certain frequency IMO.

Last edited:
I just covered them and the color difference is drastic. There are only two. Give it a few weeks and we'll see. I would not want to switch the fixture because I don't want to shock any corals anywhere throughout my system with a light change.

I don't think those few red LEDs have anything to do with the algae. Granted, red is just as powerful for photosynthetic processes as blue spectrum (both in algaes and in corals that use Chlorophyll A). But you have so few of them. A real test would be to switch the fixture to another algae free tank and see what happens.

I just bought these. I hope they are good. It says that the LED chips are bridglux or Cree. I will let you know what I think of them. http://bit.ly/14DmE6E

We go back and forth on this and frankly I don't have a hardened position on it. I like the look of my Rapid full spectrum fixture, but I also like my white and blue Chinese fixtures, both grow coral well and the color difference is a matter of individual preference.

I just bought these. I hope they are good. It says that the LED chips are bridglux or Cree. I will let you know what I think of them. http://bit.ly/14DmE6E

Price was right. Don't understand the Cree or Bridgelux "chip" comment. Seems kind of weird. It looks like Bridgelux LEDs are shown in the pictures. Crees are usually considered more efficient, but depends on the part number. If you don't like the red, you can turn it down.

Price was right. Don't understand the Cree or Bridgelux "chip" comment. Seems kind of weird. It looks like Bridgelux LEDs are shown in the pictures. Crees are usually considered more efficient, but depends on the part number. If you don't like the red, you can turn it down.

That's what it says on the auction.
q3TEQbV.jpg

I just covered the red LEDs on my multicolored (reefbreeders) fixture, because that's the only part of my system where I have algae. Cyano and some thick brown stuff is all over the sump with the rb fixture over it, but the rest of the system including the DT is spotless now, with just the straight blue and white units.
My T-5's are doing the same to my sand bed. Cyano on it if I have the lights on to long and I only have the white and super actinics on it.

I'm buying it used. I want a 180 but can't find a decent priced one anywhere. The 150 is a more then I wanted to spend. But the dimensions are 72x18x27. So I'll have my 6 footer

Back
Top Bottom