Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I commented on the other thread, but I didn't mention that I believe one company to be making all of these, then resellers branding them with their own names for sale.
Doesn't anyone notice that the bulk of these units are EXACTLY alike except for the names?

The case is the only thing different. The Tao has a gloss black finish and chrome grating to cover the fans. The off brands are a dull black with the fan grate built it the cover. Inside they are identical

I have white ones and black ones, some with chrome grating, and others with the fan venting punched into the metal. Also, different knobs, and different switches, but they are all really the same units. Anywhere else in the world this would be a patent issue...no?

Have you taken a decent look at chinas economy . If they could build an entire economy solely on copyright infringement, theyd name it China

Lighting your reef...Best bang for your buck.

Well I finally bought my light TaoTronics - 120 degree lenses but I am still getting the spot light effect I thought the 120's was not suppose to do that...
Any thoughts?????
Sorry for such a cruddy picture.

Attachments

• Full Tank Shot 12-19-13.jpg
    Full Tank Shot 12-19-13.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 144
Looks pretty good in the pic, the only spot that looks a little bright is the rock peak on the left but since that is closer to the light I think it would be expected

Well I finally bought my light TaoTronics - 120 degree lenses but I am still getting the spot light effect I thought the 120's was not suppose to do that...
Any thoughts?????

From the picture it looks like you mounted the lights under the canopy...if so then that's your problem.also are the taotronics dimmable?

Any thoughts?????
What does the top of the canopy look like? Can you cut 3 holes in it that are slightly smaller than the units and set them on top? This would also help keep the fixtures from getting corroded prematurely, since they will be running room air through the fans instead of humid tank air.

I have mine under a canopy and do not have a spotlight effect

Is your dimmable?having them full blast at 100% will give you that spotlight affect?also (depending on corals you have) having them too close to the waterline will do a lot of harm to coral.another thing ....what optic lenses are on your unit?

I have the photon units and have them set on a schedule that brings them up to 75% at the highest. I have the 60 degree lenses.

If you get 60* or 90* lenses does this mean that the light will not pour into the room as much as if its 120* lenses? Sorry for the dumb question.

If you get 60* or 90* lenses does this mean that the light will not pour into the room as much as if its 120* lenses? Sorry for the dumb question.

I would just look into a canopy. There is always gonna be light that pours into the room unless you have one.

Lighting your reef...Best bang for your buck.

What does the top of the canopy look like? Can you cut 3 holes in it that are slightly smaller than the units and set them on top? This would also help keep the fixtures from getting corroded prematurely, since they will be running room air through the fans instead of humid tank air.

Here is the canopy top when I was stripping it and refinishing it last summer:

I thought the 120 degree optics was not suppose to have the spotlight effect am I wrong?

Attachments

• 2nd coat of stain.jpg
    2nd coat of stain.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom