LightingAAAA HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so...i have been racking my brain to try and figure out how to get 1wpg in my new 55 gal tank.
I have 2 lamp hoods that are 22 and 1/2 inches that hold 1 18" bulb the most output it can supply is 17watts so only .67wpg
I suppose i need to get a hood that holds 2 bulbs. My question is does this mean i have to get an entirly new hood not just for my lamps but also aquarium? The hood for the tank is pretty much made for this lighting. It has the glass in it to match up with the lights....
Help is wanted badly. I am going crazy. :crazyeyes: if it helps i have a metal light hood from my gecko that is 20" long and has 2 normal lamp sockets

i had the same problem with my 55 so i just decided to turn it into an african cichlid tank and do the live plants in my 10 gallon.. LOL.

Basically i was told that id either have to buy a whole new lighting fixture for something like Compact flourescent lights or ones that hold more than one strip. OR.. you can put a new ballast in your current fixture... which is probably the cheapest way to go.. but i don't fully understand how to do that so.. thats the most help i can offer!!!

You could always hang a shop light over it, and use acrylic or something as a tank top...

I'm fighting lighting at the moment myself, now. Mostly that almost all bulbs locally get sold either at 24" or 36"...not 30", and I have a 29 gallon tank and a 20 long that need 30".

ok so i think i figured it out!

I will get:
2-24" glass canopies $10.49 ea
2-24" black All-Glass Double tube strips $34.99 ea
4-18" 15watt bulbs $5.99 ea

subtotal = $114.92 8O

yay only $115 more to spend on my lovely aquarium (sarcasim)
*eye twitches*
I know where my next paycheck is going....weeee :cry:

if you know ofanything cheaper please let me know! Pleeaaassseee!!

Gryph said:
You could always hang a shop light over it, and use acrylic or something as a tank top...

I would do that but the tank is in my room and i have pretty high ceilings plus...my mom wouldn't find it too thrilling I can already hear her saying "What is that thing hanging in your room!? Get rid of it!!!" :p

You know, my husband said just about the same thing. "Honey, can I hang a shop light over my aquarium?" "Now you really HAVE lost your mind, hon. We're not hanging a shop light in the aquarium."

In other news, I have had a large "duh" moment and realized that bulb length does not equal hood length. My tanks have readily available 24" bulbs. I am a dodo.

A compact flourescent will give you more wattage than the standard lights. It is a little bit higher at price initially, but it will allow you achieve the 2 wpg. Here's a link to the Oak All-Glass strip. It also comes in Black

If you're looking for All-Glass glass hoods, PM me.

for a 115 bucks, i would say look at a CF... its going to cost a little more, but def. be worth it for a planted tank.. i can't see spending 115 bucks just to achieve 1 WPG

I have a USA current satelite on my tank which is the same length as a 29 gallon. They come with 65 Watts or 130 Watts. The 130 Watts cost me 135.00 from Big Als.

I suppose getting the cf would be better, but this also means a CO2 system. Wich i am fine with. I wanted to do the DIY CO2 system.....
I will just have to do some more resreach. Thanks for the help.

Fishyfanatic said:
A compact flourescent will give you more wattage than the standard lights. It is a little bit higher at price initially, but it will allow you achieve the 2 wpg. Here's a link to the Oak All-Glass strip. It also comes in Black

wow thanks haha i totaly missed that when i was browsing on big al's
i have to get the 2 24" hoods though unless the 48" socket deals covered where the plastic brace on my aquarium is.
Thanks!

The 48 inch fixture should be fine on the tank. It works perfect on my 55 gal tank. I have 2 extra All-Glass 24" hoods. That's why I mentioned to PM me. We bought them and realized that we have a Perfecto tank, not an All-Glass so the hoods don't work.

well i have an all-glass aquarium is it just hte hood or the lighting strip? I have the hoods for my tank.
also if you would be willing to do me a favor and see how wide the base of your light srtip is i would appreciate it :D Just so i don't go out and get one too wide to fit on my hood and have to go back and get another hood. TIA

We have the All-Glass glass hoods. Actually, we have a light strip also, but it wouldn't be enough wattage for what you are looking for. CF would be the way to go. We purchased 2 24" perfecto hoods only to find out they were too big. So we thought maybe we had an All-Glass tank so we purchased 2 24" All-Glass hoods. Then come to find out that we have a Perfecto tank but we have to buy a Perfecto Kit. So we have 2 24" perfecto hoods and 2 24" All-Glass hoods not to mention the glass hoods that we eventually bought that are on the tank. LOL We have so many hoods its not even funny. :D I'll measure the tank probably tomorrow when I am back with it. :) Out of town at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom