Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need help don't know what to go with t5 or mh or led HELP I got a mh 400w not used it yet buy I want blue t5 too will the mh burn them ?????

You need to decide what you are going for remember the MH gets dimmer a lot faster going down than a T5. I don't have any LED to compare with. Decide what you are going for if it is a softy and LPS I would go for a T5 with individual reflectors and ATI bulbs. If I was going for morre SPS I would go for MH with 14k probably a phoenix or ushio.

I got a 14000k bulb already gonna use that I think and 2xt5 but what colour

I would go with a special blue and a purple plus. It took about a week for the purple plus to be less red but the color good now. It is really what you are looking for in color. What 400w MH do you have?

What does the blue and purple do for the tank or is it just to look at

Metal halide lights are really white (lower quality are yellow) and tend to make things look washed out. If you ever study much about how light and water interact, the blue light tends to be all that's left as you get deeper, so there is also the thoguht it is more natural and the spectrum is better used by the photosynthetic creatures. Using some blue or purple makes it a lot more pleasant looking and enhances the colors of the fish and corals. Also, you can use the blues and purples to simulate a sunrise / sunset effect with timers.

One downside is they generate a LOT of heat.

One nice thing about metal halides (and is also true of LEDs) is that you can get a very nice shimmer effect you can't get with flourescents.

My understanding of LEDs is that to get ones that are good enough for a reef, you're going to pay quite a bit.

I have order 1 14000k White 2 hybrid 60:40 and a blue t5 arcadia good choice or not ?????

Any one heard of this unit and is it any good

Attachments

• image-3037734756.jpg
    image-3037734756.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 62
Plz help if u can

Attachments

• image-269090759.jpg
    image-269090759.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom