Lights for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of light do I need for a planted aquarium? I want medium lighting to high. And money is tight so cheap is preferred.

daileene said:
what kind of hood do you have?

if where your light goes is a socket, you can just get a daylight compact flourescent light that has 6700k for one pack (2-4 in a pack) from walmart, home depot or any hardware store for less than $10.

If you are not sure what you have, please read this info about lighting:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-beginners-guide-to-lighting-53375.html

Here is the link to my hood http://www.aquariumguys.com/glass-canopy-36in-18in-40-breeder.html

oh i am only seeing the glass canopy. What I meant was your lighting hood. most of them looks like this:

Aquarium Lighting Systems at That Fish Place

some has sockets, some have pins and others. if yours is a socket, that is the cheapest lighting that you can find since you can just get the CFL bulbs for less than $10.

daileene said:
oh i am only seeing the glass canopy. What I meant was your lighting hood. most of them looks like this:

Aquarium Lighting Systems at That Fish Place

some has sockets, some have pins and others. if yours is a socket, that is the cheapest lighting that you can find since you can just get the CFL bulbs for less than $10.

The fixture you're talking about, right? :)

Depending on tank size, +1 on the cfl for small nano-ish tanks. For larger tanks t5 or t5 high output would probably put you at medium lighting depending on tank size. You can also get away with t8, also depending on tank size.

So I guess where Im getting at is, how large is your tank lol?

George9 said:
The fixture you're talking about, right? :)

Depending on tank size, +1 on the cfl for small nano-ish tanks. For larger tanks t5 or t5 high output would probably put you at medium lighting depending on tank size. You can also get away with t8, also depending on tank size.

So I guess where Im getting at is, how large is your tank lol?

40 gal breeder, I think I'll go with low light for now, any plant suggestions anyone?

here's a good table chart on what lighting you should choose for your size of tank:

Attachments

• LightIntensitChart.jpg
    LightIntensitChart.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 106
daileene said:
here's a list for some low lighting plants:

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

and to george: :-D yes, I meant the light fixtures. sorry, my bad.

Thanks for the list, here is what I got after some research

Dwarf hair grass
Java fern
Anubias
Java moss
Moss balls
Christmas moss
Anacharis
Micro sword
Green hygro
Will these plants be ok? What ones can live together in a low light tank?

they all can be together in your tank. just make sure that your anubias and your java ferns are attach to a driftwood or rocks coz it will not survive in the substrate. christmas moss is a little expensive and hard to find but they are surely beautiful.

I have my anubias buried in the sand and ITs doing great. If you do bury it, just make sure not to cover the the stick thing that the leaves are growing out of. Only bury the roots. It has a name (starts with an r-Daileene, do you know lol?) but you'll know it when you see it

daileene said:
here's a good table chart on what lighting you should choose for your size of tank:

I'm new to planted tanks.. What does raising the light above the tank do??

George9 said:
I have my anubias buried in the sand and ITs doing great. If you do bury it, just make sure not to cover the the stick thing that the leaves are growing out of. Only bury the roots. It has a name (starts with an r-Daileene, do you know lol?) but you'll know it when you see it

The " rhizome" is the word you want.
Don't bury the Rhizome ;)

Back
Top Bottom