Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Lights for Plants

I have just recieved a used 55 gallon aquarium and the setup came with a 40 watt fluorescent light. I was wondering if this is good lighting for plants. Is this a generally low watt for growing plants or is it a very high watt?

Myah

Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Anyone there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Please help me

Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watts don't exactly matter these days. Is it a T8 or a T5 bulb?

Caleb
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you elaborate? What is a T5 and a T8 tube? I have many lighting questions too. What does this refer to? Can these go in a regular hood, or do they need one of those special hoods that stands above the tank? And what are those hoods called? For plants do you always need C02? Also do you also need special substrate?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They refer to the diameter of the fluorescent tube. T8 are fatter around than T5. It is likely a hood that came with an aquarium is T8, but without more information there is no way to tell.

You can use sand or planting medium substrate like "Eco-complete" (one of many brands). Gravel is not generally recommended.

No, you do not always need CO2 for plants. Many of us do use a liquid that provides CO2 that you will see referred to as Excel, CO2 Booster, or glut. Some use nothing to provide extra CO2.

Most of us use some kind of fertilizer for our plants. This includes liquid that goes in the water and root tabs that go in the substrate.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

P.S. If your hood is T8, it is possible to successfully grow some low light plants. I started out with a T8 hood that came with my aquarium and upgraded my lighting a few months later. If you do have a T8 hood you can buy bulbs for aquarium plants for it at just about any pet store with a fish section. It will most likely still be for low light plants, especially if it only has room for one fluorescent tube.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

I have some low light plants now and they are doing very well I was just wondering if I could get some plants that need high light

Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myah View Post
I have some low light plants now and they are doing very well I was just wondering if I could get some plants that need high light

It all depends on your lighting and fertilization. One plant can grow and thrive under a light while another can die off.

Caleb
Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myah View Post

On some plants there are contrary recommendations depending on the source of the information. High, med, and low are usually ranges. What does well in one tank may not do well in another regardless of exact lighting levels. The spectrum of the light is important, not just the level.

If there is a plant I want to try, I try it.

If I put a high light difficult to grow plant in my medium light low tech tank and it withers away, it's not a surprise. But sometimes there are happy surprises and the plant does well.

I'd suggest starting off with plants that are considered lower light and easy to grow in general. Still, there is nothing wrong with trying a plant to see if it works in your tank. When I get a new plant, I always think of it as "trying" it.

Tags
light, lights, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com