Lights question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have this problem when you turn your lights on or off then your fish would get startled? I have a hood fixture, should be the one on my display pic. And that happens all the time. Every time I turn my lights on or off my fish would suddenly jerk when the lights go on or off.

So I was thinking, are there lights or fixtures out there that would turn on and off slowly?

Athaocity said:
Does anyone have this problem when you turn your lights on or off then your fish would get startled? I have a hood fixture, should be the one on my display pic. And that happens all the time. Every time I turn my lights on or off my fish would suddenly jerk when the lights go on or off.

So I was thinking, are there lights or fixtures out there that would turn on and off slowly?

They do have them but there A LOT of money. Most over a grand. What you could do is add a fixture that has blue bulbs and white bulbs. Like a dual fixture maybe with two switches. Add timers have the blues come on first an hour later the whites or daylight comes on. On my Cichlid tank my blues come on first but not until afternoon since I'm not home anyway and fish really don't need the light. The light is for your viewing. Anyway my blues go on then 2 hours later the daylights go on then daylights off then blues followed by moonlights. The idea I used was 1 I'm not home during the day and if lights are on for a long time comes algae problems 2 the natural light will slowly wake the fish up and then the blues even more then after 2 hours by the time I get home the daylights are on so it gives enough transition time.

Sorry for the ramble. But yes my fish did use to get spooked for a second if I just walked over in the dark and zapped them with 2 10k daylights.

Thanks should've thought of that.

Another question that deals with lights.

I read in a aquatic plant book that low light plant like Anubias will actually grow slower in brighter lights. I've seen a lot of pics and videos with the java fern plant in what seems to be bright light that does fine. So will some low light plants be okay in a little more brighter lighting than their preferred low lighting?

Back
Top Bottom