Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Limiting flow on a canister filter

Does anyone foresee negative consequences by limiting the flow on an Eheim classic canister filter by using the quick disconnect valves (ie closing them half way)?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe it may reduce the life of the pump but not by a great deal. Just make sure you don't over restrict it or you may find your canister pipes will pop off! What is the reason you are restricting them? If it's to get more pressure on the out flow I would recommend just getting a reducing nozzle... I wouldn't reduce the water flow entering the pump, just my opinion.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you partially close the exhaust port it will not hurt the pump, but if you do so to the intake, it will hurt the pump.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Thanks for the replies. I want to limit flow to reduce the current produced in the tank. I am using a 2213 on a 5.5 gal tank, so cutting the flow in half should still provide ample filtration.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why not just use a sponge filter?
Flow only as much as air or powerhead will give it.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStav View Post
I wouldn't reduce the water flow entering the pump, just my opinion.
Neither would I. If there's too much current, you can drill the spraybar holes bigger.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was wondering how such a large cannister was working on such a small tank. Your shrimp must be in the cleanest, most luxurious water in captivity.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I want to limit flow to reduce the current produced in the tank. I am using a 2213 on a 5.5 gal tank, so cutting the flow in half should still provide ample filtration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1 View Post
Neither would I. If there's too much current, you can drill the spraybar holes bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post
I was wondering how such a large cannister was working on such a small tank. Your shrimp must be in the cleanest, most luxurious water in captivity.
Wow I missed that! All I can picture are shrimp flying around the tank like debris in a tornado
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It actually works out ok once the filter is established and the flow settles in at it's normal operating level. It also helps that I am using a lily pipe inflow, so the spray bar is not in use. But for the first month, before the filter has matured, the flow is a little much.

So I have a few votes for yes you can use the valve on the outflow side, and a few votes for no, don't do it. Anyone have any reasons to go with the assertions? I am leaning towards it being ok on the outflow side so long as it is not overly restricted. The pump would still get laminar flow with no cavitation, so the only issue is pressure on the fittings and valves, which seem substantial enough to absorb a 25% increase in pressure. I would like to hear reasons for it being bad.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com