Live haul pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any aquarium pumps designed to pump live fish? They use these pumps all the time for fish farming, but they're meant to pump 6-12lb live salmon, a little big for my aquarium.

All the pumps I've seen so far are regular impeller style design. I would like aquire aquarium pumps that won't mangle any critters or larvae that get through the screens.

The pumps used have a design similar to a venturi or the tube system at the drive-thru bank. Only instead of air being drawn in, more water is drawn in. Since water flows very very poorly in comparison to air, you need a substantial amount of GPH. It's not economically worth it when you can just cover an intake with pantyhose.

I've heard any animal that has a small free swimming form as a juvenile can be hard to breed because they'll get sucked through pumps and powerheads and killed. I'd like to have the option to move water without chopping critters to bits.

I don't imagine they make pumps like that in aquarium scale. I can't imagine that they're very efficient.

Try putting a media bag, pantyhose, or a sponge over the intake. Otherwise, switch to a sponge filter for the breeding tank.

I have some Ideas, I'm going to make an attempt at building something. I'll probably fail, but if I don't try then failure is guaranteed ;).

If I get anything worth posting about I'll put it in the DIY forum. I really want to try and build a tank without impellers. Maybe have the sump/refugium a few inches lower then the DT to reduce head dramtically.

you could always set your fuge next to your dt and use 2 syphon pipe overflow boxes and no pumps at all.But its not cheap plus the two tanks would need to be set at the same height plus wide enough to get 2 boxes next to each other.It wouldn't look much but might work.MAYBE???

Back
Top Bottom