Live Rock as a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aryiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If i decided to use live rock as a filter does this mean i still have to get a sump or another filter? is this a good idea and how does it work?

You don't need to have a sump if you have 1.5-2# of live rock in your tank. A sump is a great way to introduce additional water volume to your system and most people get there eventually! It doesn't do mechanical filtration though (removal of debris, gunk, detritis in the water column, etc). It does do a great job at keeping your Ammo, NO2 & NO3 in check.

You could do without all together if you wanted to keep it really simple. As you have funds or your needs change you may choose to add a HOB filter of some sort and/or skimmer for additional waste removal. It really depends on how often you feed, how often you want to do water changes, how heavily you stock your tank, if you want corals (and if so Softies/LPS/SPS).

On my 120 I have a wet/dry filter with built in skimmer, 180# of live rock, 10g fuge growing chaeto with a DSB. Corals are everything from SPS to LPS to Leathers, shrooms & zoos.
On my 150g stock tank I have 80# of live rock, one fish, a 60g sump, calcium reactor, superman skimmer (taller than my children), some chaeto in the sump, and filter socks on the return lines. Corals include everything from SPS to LPS to Ricordia.
On my 65 I have a HOB whisper filter, a 10g sump growing caulerpa with zoos, leathers, shrooms, star polyps ...

One end of the spectrum to the other. Decide what works best for you and go from there!

Back
Top Bottom