live rock \/sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all im using a sump with string filtration im not sure what you want to call it but im being told with live rock you dont want filtration like bio balls or anything else like that. they are saying it takes to many of the elements i need for my reef tank.. im being told that i want a sump with a refugium is this in fact the case? im also being told no skimmer on it that i should keep that off.. thank yall for all your advice n help

julian

M. you don't need any other filter if you have 1-2#'s of LR per gallon of tank water.
You should not run the skimmer because this will slow down the cycling of your tank.
Bio-balls compete for the same food as your LR and will only slow down the growth of good bacteria on your LR. It will also end up as a nitrate factory as bio-balls tend to require lots of maintenace. So as soon as you stop doing weekly cleaning of your bio-balls the nitrates will go skyhigh in no time at all. It is best not to use them. If you are using them remove them a little at a time to reduce the chance of over taxing your LR bacteria.

+1 TC
LR is the best filtration. Skimmers and stuff help, but you will always be one step behind on your levels if your LR is lacking.

Back
Top Bottom