Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Loc-Line Alternatives or Substitute? Suggestions needed, please.

Hi, Building a 65g FOWLR...that I'm almost certain will eventually become a reef...but I so love the fish...LOL

Anyway, finishing up the plumbing side of the mechanics - incorporated a Glass-Holes 700 kit for the return, will DIY a 20g sump/fuge, utilizing a Supreme MD7 pump. The return has been drilled for 3/4" bulkhead.

All the plumbing is completed, save for whatever I use from the inside of the tank at the return bulkhead - to verify the plumbing is sound (no leaks), the sump will hold the overflow when power is out, the MD7 works, etc., I'm using a 75 cent 3/4" elbow from Home Depot. All is good. No leaks. Sump (baffles not yet installed) has room to spare.

My question: regarding the return (inside the tank from bulkhead). It was suggested to me at the LFS that I utilize loc-line... and I thought I would add a "Y" so to encourage better circulation. BUT, as the loc-line is expensive (approx. $25 for 12" of plastic pipe!), I'm wondering if there is a more cost-effective alternative that will get the job done? For instance, just keep the 75 cent elbow that shoots straight down into tank or whatever?

I am planning to augment the circulation with power heads, as needed. So it's not clear to me that the $25 worth of loc-line is money well spent.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Larry

Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems to me you can do the same thing with a PVC Tee, couple short pieces of PVC pipe with 45 degree Elbows on the ends.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good idea! Sounds simple enough. Do you know if the PVC comes in black? Maybe that's wishful thinking. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you cant find black pvc you can use krylon fusion paint let it set for about 48-72 hours and its safe
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They do make PVC in black but it is called ABS and is different. It is made for sewage system and it would be hard to find in the small sizes and fittings. You are pretty much stuck with the white stuff. There may be some sort of paint you could use but I would sure find out from someone who knows more about it than I do. I would hate for the paint to poison the tank.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
if you cant find black pvc you can use krylon fusion paint let it set for about 48-72 hours and its safe
Ah. I used the Kyrlon Fusion on the exterior for a background but found the coverage very disappointing on the glass. And of course, sprays are messy.

Perhaps there is a brushable paint you can recommend - especially in that the parts are small?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

it works great on pvc. used it on every tank. sprays really dont work well on glass unless its made for glass
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
it works great on pvc. used it on every tank. sprays really dont work well on glass unless its made for glass
That gives me more confidence on the PVC - you've had success. re: glass. Krylon Fusion claims it's for glass on the back of the can.

Still, I'd rather brush it for the small pieces. Should have talk with you before gluing the 1.5" drain white drain line. The experience with painting the glass put me off from doing the PVC.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

it says that about the glass but ive only had luck with glass paints like stain glass sprays. or niteshade for cars lol. and im not to sure about brush paints for the small parts.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulkhead return, line, loc-line, return line, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com