Loc-Line Alternatives or Substitute? Suggestions needed, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, Building a 65g FOWLR...that I'm almost certain will eventually become a reef...but I so love the fish...LOL

Anyway, finishing up the plumbing side of the mechanics - incorporated a Glass-Holes 700 kit for the return, will DIY a 20g sump/fuge, utilizing a Supreme MD7 pump. The return has been drilled for 3/4" bulkhead.

All the plumbing is completed, save for whatever I use from the inside of the tank at the return bulkhead - to verify the plumbing is sound (no leaks), the sump will hold the overflow when power is out, the MD7 works, etc., I'm using a 75 cent 3/4" elbow from Home Depot. All is good. No leaks. Sump (baffles not yet installed) has room to spare.

My question: regarding the return (inside the tank from bulkhead). It was suggested to me at the LFS that I utilize loc-line... and I thought I would add a "Y" so to encourage better circulation. BUT, as the loc-line is expensive (approx. $25 for 12" of plastic pipe!), I'm wondering if there is a more cost-effective alternative that will get the job done? For instance, just keep the 75 cent elbow that shoots straight down into tank or whatever?

I am planning to augment the circulation with power heads, as needed. So it's not clear to me that the $25 worth of loc-line is money well spent.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Larry

Seems to me you can do the same thing with a PVC Tee, couple short pieces of PVC pipe with 45 degree Elbows on the ends.

Good idea! Sounds simple enough. Do you know if the PVC comes in black? Maybe that's wishful thinking. lol

They do make PVC in black but it is called ABS and is different. It is made for sewage system and it would be hard to find in the small sizes and fittings. You are pretty much stuck with the white stuff. There may be some sort of paint you could use but I would sure find out from someone who knows more about it than I do. I would hate for the paint to poison the tank.

if you cant find black pvc you can use krylon fusion paint let it set for about 48-72 hours and its safe :)

Ah. I used the Kyrlon Fusion on the exterior for a background but found the coverage very disappointing on the glass. And of course, sprays are messy.

Perhaps there is a brushable paint you can recommend - especially in that the parts are small?

it works great on pvc. used it on every tank. sprays really dont work well on glass unless its made for glass

That gives me more confidence on the PVC - you've had success. re: glass. Krylon Fusion claims it's for glass on the back of the can.

Still, I'd rather brush it for the small pieces. Should have talk with you before gluing the 1.5" drain white drain line. The experience with painting the glass put me off from doing the PVC.

it says that about the glass but ive only had luck with glass paints like stain glass sprays. or niteshade for cars lol. and im not to sure about brush paints for the small parts.

That gives me more confidence on the PVC - you've had success. re: glass. Krylon Fusion claims it's for glass on the back of the can.

Still, I'd rather brush it for the small pieces. Should have talk with you before gluing the 1.5" drain white drain line. The experience with painting the glass put me off from doing the PVC.

If you want to try and brush it, spay a bunch in a small container and you will have liquid paint that you can dip a brush in.

i may be too late but i have used spray paint on all of my glass tanks now 4 total. and i have had great success with krylon fusion on 3 of them. first coat spray light and let it tack, then build it up. on the 4th tank i used automotive enamel spray paint from the local automotive store. we wanted a wider color choice than just blue black or white. again letting the first light coat tack up first then building up.

I used the Krylon Fusion on the glass for background and was amazed how much paint was need for a 24 x 26 area - seems like at least 2 full cans. What bothers me is that the paint tends to fall off when brushed or touched (even after all this cure time).

Not exposing the glass, but the flecks that fall off fall directly into the sump below! Not happy.

Decided not to bother with painting the plumbing.

crazy cause its worked very well for me on the glass. thats a bum deal.

Somehow this thread went from loc-line to paint - think I had asked about painting PVC black when it was proposed that I could use PVC instaed of loc-line as I was inquiring about a loc-line alternative from the return bulkhead.

That said, I caved and bought the loc-line: decided I wanted the flexibility of being able to bend and direct it as needed. Also didn't want to hassle painting PVC given my experience with the Fusion paint on glass... albeit I understand PVC takes paint easier than glass.

So, what I want to brainstorm about was there something I did differently than you with prep or whatever, that gave you positive results with the Fusion.... not flaking off in specs , etc. Seems I am not the only one with less than a stellar experience with the Krylon.

BTW, I did build up the layers after letting it tack - certainly the third can was applied on a "dry" layer as I had to make a run to Walmart to buy it when I ran out.

yeah i misread something about paint and had to share my paint experiences sorry again. so you say you didnt find a line lock alternative? where did you get your line loc?

Back
Top Bottom