loc-line return lines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im looking into the loc-line return lines and was wondering if the tool to connect ther are really needed? and also can this stuff be drilled for a anti siphon hole?

The tool helps immensely, but if you have strong hands, you can snap the pieces together without it. Yes, you can drill an anti siphon hole in the locline.

anti-siphon hole

I just put in loc line returns in my tank and am thinking this sounds like a good idea. Is it strongly advised to drill an anti-siphon hole or will a check valve in the return line suffice? What size hole is recommended and how far below the water line should it be?

A tiny hole is all that is needed, something like 1/16". If your loc-line is near the top of the tank, you might not even need a hole. Your system should have enough sump capacity to hold whatever drains out of your display tank in the case of a power outage. Meaning that you could drain your tank to just below the drains, and not have a flood. So keeping the output of the locline at or above the drains would eliminate the need to drill a hole.

I wouldnt count on a check valve to prevent a flood. The amount of gunk that builds up even in high-flow plumbing is enough to keep a check valve from properly sealing in no time at all.

Back
Top Bottom