Looking at a tank upgrade, what are my options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the other day me and my b/f were chatting about our cichlid tank and the fact that we have to rehome some soon when he asked how big of a tank would we need? So of course I said 100 gallon to 220 gallon.

My question is this, how big can I go if I can have a length of 6 feet? I can't have it too too deep cause I'm a small girl with short arms. LOL Just wanted to know what I'm looking at in gallons. I know they make alot of odd shaped tanks but as far as standard sizes?

Aqueon makes a 210g that's six feet long, but it's 29" deep! They also make a 180g that's 24" deep and a 125g that's 22" deep.

Aqueon makes a 210g that's six feet long, but it's 29" deep! They also make a 180g that's 24" deep and a 125g that's 22" deep.

I think a 210 will kill ya. Trust me setting up my 220 was killer on me. The 180 sounds like a good choice 24" deep.

I almost need to scuba dive to get to the bottom of mine. lol

Hmmm I'm thinking the 125 or the 180 sounds good. I'd like to get the most tank real estate for my buck, but 29 inches is way too deep. Heck, my inseam on my jeans is only 27 inches! LOL

Thanks for the input! I'm currently on CL patrol for a good deal

Id look for a 125 if your not looking for something really deep. I have a 150 and its 28" deep and I need a snorkle to clean it lol. I found my setup on CL 2weeks ago, 150gal Rena XP4 2 heaters and glass tops for $150. I priced a new 125 @ my lfs and its around $300 for just the tank. Happy hunting!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

My six footer is 29" deep and I'm always on tippe toes on a stool up to my arm pits in water! I would go with the 180g if I had to do it over again.

I know everyone is talking about the depth of the tank and I can sympathize (my 60 gallon is 24" deep and it can be a hassle and I'm 6' tall:)), but no one is mentioning the weight of the completed tank. Maybe I'm being too cautious but at 125 gallons you really have to be careful as to where you put it so as not to do damage to your home.

I think I'm leaning towards the 125. I live in florida, most everyone here is built right on slab, no crawlspaces or basements so I think the weight should be ok.

I think I'm leaning towards the 125. I live in florida, most everyone here is built right on slab, no crawlspaces or basements so I think the weight should be ok.

Cool! Just make sure you have something to shim your tank to make it level. You may also want to consider anchoring it to your wall to help prevent a tip-over. Good Luck:p!!!!

Back
Top Bottom