Looking for a good skimmer for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I mean is the pump won't stay on long enough producing bubbles. It goes on and off like it is pulsing.

Well, I will let it run for a while and see what happens. Maybe it just takes a while for the pump to get going since it's pulling water up like 5 inches. Or maybe it needs to be broke in.

I will let you know, thank you!

Ah, yep. I put a filter sock to hinder the flow from the first chamber to the second chamber, thus making the water level rise. Turns out if my water level is an inch or two higher, the pump will run continously.

I guess I'll go to lowes tomorrow and try to find a piece of acrylic to make my 10" sump wall a 12" sump wall

Measure the PVC so you can extend it and then you won't need to worry bout having the water so high all the time

Perhaps, but I fear the breaking point here is having to push the water up 5 inches. If I extend the plastic tube, it will still have to push the water up 5 inches past the water line.

But by raising the sump wall 2 inches, that creates equal pressure inside and outside of the pump and then it only has to push it up 3 inches.

Makes sense, right? Just trying to make sure my mind is on the right track.

I have 5" of vertical clearance in my sump so 2" won't be a problem at all.

Nope. Been running about 4 hours. The pump won't push bubbles long enough. Keeps going on and off.

I turned it off for the night in case I'm wearing it out until I get a longer tube or higher wall tomorrow.

I will let you know though!

Okay, so I siliconed a 2" piece of acrylic to my sump wall so it'll be two inches higher. Just waiting for it to cure now.

qzodb6.jpg

Also, I got a tube to take the skimmer output water and direct it to the next chamber.. this way the skimmer won't skim the same water again until it circulates through the system. Good idea, bad idea?

35ix36v.jpg

Now it is bubbling away vigorously! :D Much more bubbles than my seaclone and way more quiet!!

Very pleased so far and no skimmate yet. Still waiting for it to break in.

I would still like peoples input on the tube idea.

I rinsed it off with tap before hooking it up. But I wonder if I take it out and let it run in vinegar water for a bit if it'll decrease the break-in period time? You know, get all of those manufacturing oils off of it.

I wanted to update this.. it's broken in and pulling out some nice tea colored stuff. Raising the cup a bit higher to skim drier now.

Very very pleased.. and it's so quiet

Back
Top Bottom