Looking for a quality heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've tried a few heaters, but the few I've tried are always off at least a few degrees. I have a 50 gal fw setup and my current 250 watt heater is off about 4 degrees. Just wanted to see what you guys use. I'm looking for real quality. Any websites or suggestions would be awesome.

I like my Rena Cal Top Light Excel heaters. Submersible, easy to see temperature markings and accurate.

I also suggest the visi-therm. Never used the steath, but we only use the Visi-therm brand. The glass ones are fully submersible also. And, it also depends on what your room temperature is and what you want your tank temp to be. You may need to get a bigger heater.

You know ... if you are going to go submersible, why not go with a titanium heater. And while i have heard great things about vistherm, i have 3 other companies that i think stand above vistherm (but this is just my opinion).

In number 3 would be Hagen heaters. I like these because all of their heaters have an extra item that surrounds the heater so that a ) the fish can't lay directly on the heater and harm them and b ) if the glass shatters, it will mostly be contained. I have used this heater in a past tank until i sold it off (worst mistake EVER!!)

In the number 2 spot i would have to say Ebo Jager. These are REALLY relieable heaters and again, totally submersable. I personally use an ebo jager in one of my tanks and it always keeps the water +/- 1 degree fahrenheit (unless outside conditions have an impact.)

In the number 1 possition i have to say a Won Brothers Titanium heater. You can get these off ebay for a really good and reasonable price! Now this is hands down my FAVORITE heater because it is a titanium one (it will never break/shatter), it is totally submersible and enclosed, it comes in various model types for what you are willing to spend (i personally have the Won Brothers Pro Heat II), the model i have comes with your thermostat by your plug, this thermostat not only allows you to set the temperature you want without getting your hands wet, but it also has a digital readout of your current tanks water temperature. This temperature is read by a seperate probe that is also placed in your tank 12 inches away from your heater (just so that it doesn't give false readings). It is easy to use, and is extremely accurate (+/- 1 degree fahrenheit). When i have to get a new heater, i will ONLY go with a Won Brothers heater. They are well worth the money you will spend on one!

visi-them, ebo-jager for submersibles.
Hydor ETH series for the in-line heaters (which I have and LOVE)

I have heard good things about the Visitherm Stealths, but have not used any personally. I run Won Bros Pro-Heat titanium heaters and Ebo Jagers almost exclusively...one nice thing about the Pro-Heats is that they are available from 50W-500W.

The stealth is worth the extra $5 or so because of the no glass design and the lifetime warranty. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom