Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looking for a reef LED light

Let me start by saying hello.

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks reading up and researching for my first set up. My wife has been pestering me for some time for a tank and wanted colorful fish in it. It didn't help that we have Annual passes to our local (The Georgia) aquarium.

I'm new to the hobby and have been slowly aquiring parts for our setup as cash allows.

Thus far I have (or have purchased):

46 gallon Seaclear bowfront acryllic tank
Coralife Super Skimmer (65 gallon)

I have yet to purchase anything else as I'm still researching the rest, but I know I would eventually like to move to a reef tank. I'll be purchasing the light most likely next so I can begin setting up my tank.

I've searched repeatedly on here but have yet to come across a solid review of LED lighting. I'd like a fair price on the lighting - I'm expecting to pay ~$600-$700 for a decent light. If I could find a good one for cheaper for the set up I'm looking at I'd be thrilled.

For those that have LED lights:
1. How much did you pay?
2. Is your setup effective enough to sustain a reef tank?
3. Are you satisfied with your light?
4. Which light do you have and where did you get it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would be fine with a T5 HO setup. LED fixtures are more aimed towards deep tanks where PC, T5, and VHO lights won't penetrate. Try the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO setup, just choose the length that fits your tank and you are good to go and you would save $300-$400 compared to what you are willing to pay for the LED fixture.

Here's a link to an article on all the types of lighting: Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, light basics.

Hope this helps!
Welcome to AA!

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd still like to find a good LED to purchase so that future upgrades to the tank are possible.

I'd also like to avoid the heating of the tank associated with tradition lights - yes, I am aware there are coolers for this, but I'd like to avoid it altogether.

Plus, the added benefit of lower power consumption.

[EDIT]

I've found this light: TMC Aqua Ray 500 Reef White - (12w)
here:
http://www.tropical-and-marine.co.uk...g_Systems.html

It breaks down to about $165 + shipping unless I can find it somewhere in the states.

Anyone have experience with this light?
For some of the more knowledgeable, would this sustain a reef system in my tank?
What is the potential for upgrading this to a larger tank?

Thanks again guys... This is one subject where there is either very little info on, or, it's WAY over my head at this point in the game.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen the LED for FW tanks and they aren't nearly as bright as the T5 lights. I also thought there would be more shimmer to the water but it wasn't. The store is suppose to be getting LED's in so I am watching on their web site so I can go take a look at them. At another forum there are several people experimenting with LED's, it is so over my head that all I do is read and read wondering if anything will ever click for me.
Nano-Reef.com Forums -> Lighting Forum
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadd99 View Post
I'd still like to find a good LED to purchase so that future upgrades to the tank are possible.

I'd also like to avoid the heating of the tank associated with tradition lights - yes, I am aware there are coolers for this, but I'd like to avoid it altogether.

Plus, the added benefit of lower power consumption.
Future upgrades would require a new light anyway IMO. A lot of the currently made LED fixtures are geared towards one tank size, one group of coral, or one depth.

Heating from T5 HO bulbs is really not an issue as they don't burn too hot.

Lower electricity consumption I cannot argue with .

Just be warned that LED is still in the baby stages. If you read the article that I posted a link to, you would notice the same thing. I would wait a few years for the quality to come up and a significant drop in price.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you follow their links you will find out that their lights are for a deep ocean setup. in other words, it's not strong enough for a normal reef setup. 12w-LED is not enough for a 46g tank. You would more then likely need 6 of those units and it still may not be enough.IMO
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

TC, can you help me out by posting the link here? I seem to be missing it altogether on their page.

And so, if the 12W is insufficient, would 2 of the 24W models work for a reef tank? Two of the 24W models would cost me around $515 plus shipping I think, which still falls within my price range.

Thom, you'll get no argument that the traditional lights would be WAY easier (and most likely more reliable) to use, but like I said before, I'm aquiring parts piecemeal beforehand, so it's not like my tank is going to die because I don't have a light on it yet. I also have an 18 month old wild indian that runs around my house (hence the acryllic tank) to think about. LEDs are a little less sensitive to vibration than most traditional lights.

Thanks for you input guys! This forum has already provided me with TONS of great information the books I purchase did not. I think you can expect more questions in the future as I get closer to the actual set up of my tank.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, here's the link.Buy Aquarium Lighting online at Tropical and Marine Ltd - The UK's favourite Aquarium Supplies Co.
It's under "top tips" and is the last line. also has an invitation to call or e-mail them for more information.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

AquariumLed.eu!, Powerfull light for you reef aquarium!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Went to my LFS today and asked about LED lighting. They just became a dealer for a company called ecoxotic.

I looked them up when I got home,
Panorama LED Fixtures - Panorama LED Lighting - Products

I'm thinking about the 23.5" system for my 46g setup. I think it should be sufficient and I found it a bit cheaper after some searching.

Also found a review of them here:
Nano-Reef.com Forums > Ecoxotic Panorama LED Module

Looks like most likely this is what I'll be going with. I will probably change the controller too, so I can make it dimmable.

Tags
led, light, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com