Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Looking for a UV for my new tank

Looking at the Current USA 40w and the same size in the Aqua. Aqua is about twice the cost as Current USA. Aqua also has an option for a wiper or larger input/outputs (from 3/4 2 "). Is it that much better?

My plan is to run the UV maybe once weekly and for maybe a week or 2 with new additions (still after QT though).

Am I looking at the right size for my 155g? Gonna ball valve it so I can speed or slow the flow as desired. So maybe a 25w won't do?

Any thoughts?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Have you considered the Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer also? I think due to the slower screw type motion (longer water contact with the UV) that an 18W or 36w would be fine for your tank and it’s costs about as much as the Current USA 40w UV or Aqua 40w UV.

Not that the others haven’t gotten great reviews but I was kind of surprised you didn’t mention the Turbo-Twist.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah. I forgot about that one.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also run a turbo twist with no complaints. I question the more exposure time sales pitch though. If you have a 12" long 1" pipe and pump 300GPH through it. It is going to be it the pipe the same amount of time wether it is "twisting" or not. Just a thought
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I also have the turbo twist. I believe that the kill ratio is higher due to the twisting that tecwzrd was talking about

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I did get the Current model UV- mostly 'cause my LFS carries it and he now started giving me the price match from on-line ordering. Saved $70 on it too.

Brendan, the more I thinkg about it, yes 300 gph is just that whether straight or twisting. Just that when twisted it would have contact with the light longer. Like going starit up the mountain instead of the winding road round and round.

Anyway, I'm planning on running my UV 1 day a week and maybe 2 weeks with new fish additions, so the high kill rate isn't that important to me.......yet. Think I'm gonna mount it so I can easily replace if the "yet" ever comes.

Thanks all.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Brendan, the more I thinkg about it, yes 300 gph is just that whether straight or twisting. Just that when twisted it would have contact with the light longer. Like going starit up the mountain instead of the winding road round and round.
Yes but no. Using your mountain analogy. The winding road would take longer and allow more "exposure" but the road is also longer. Pushing 300GPH through a one foot 1" pipe will have the same exposure time twisting or not. The pump will determine the exposure time. Pushing it through 2 - 1" pipes would double your exposure time. Water volume is the same regardless. Am I making since? Turbo twist work great but the "twist" action is just a sales scheme.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

OK. Drive 50 mph in a straight line. Now try that turning left and right over that straight line in a zig zag - same speed. Betcha if you stay near that line and will take you longer to get to point B.

Or drop a ball straight down. Now, in the same speed, let it spiral down. Takes longer to get to the bottom I'm betting.

Still don't have you convinced yet? OK, I'm just gonna have to come down there and do an experiment together. Oh yeah, can I do some snorkelling in your tank while I'm there? Melissa can cook right?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
OK. Drive 50 mph in a straight line. Now try that turning left and right over that straight line in a zig zag - same speed. Betcha if you stay near that line and will take you longer to get to point B.
Correct but what you are doing when swerving is making the path traveled longer. So by zig zaging you are making the pipe longer. Back to my point. You take your pipe and twist it or whatever you want to get more exposure time and I will use a straight pipe the same length and diameter. Now we both have 1 hour to get 100 gallons through our pipe. The time water spends in the pipe will be exactly the same wether the pipe is twisted or straight. Actually I am the cook. You bring the steaks.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So wouldn't the "pipe" be longer in a turbo twist given the same size filter? If both are 6" long filters, and one twists and one runs straight through, the twist would need to be longer to make up the difference....right?

I wonder if the dia of the pipe changes the kill ratio as well. You could have different dia pipes but the same gph. Pressure through the line would be different, but with a higher pressure, wouldn't there be more varmin in the flow at any given time?

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com