Looking for a UV for my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at the Current USA 40w and the same size in the Aqua. Aqua is about twice the cost as Current USA. Aqua also has an option for a wiper or larger input/outputs (from 3/4 2 "). Is it that much better?

My plan is to run the UV maybe once weekly and for maybe a week or 2 with new additions (still after QT though).

Am I looking at the right size for my 155g? Gonna ball valve it so I can speed or slow the flow as desired. So maybe a 25w won't do?

Any thoughts?

Have you considered the Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer also? I think due to the slower screw type motion (longer water contact with the UV) that an 18W or 36w would be fine for your tank and it’s costs about as much as the Current USA 40w UV or Aqua 40w UV.

Not that the others haven’t gotten great reviews but I was kind of surprised you didn’t mention the Turbo-Twist.

I also run a turbo twist with no complaints. I question the more exposure time sales pitch though. If you have a 12" long 1" pipe and pump 300GPH through it. It is going to be it the pipe the same amount of time wether it is "twisting" or not. Just a thought :fadein:

I also have the turbo twist. I believe that the kill ratio is higher due to the twisting that tecwzrd was talking about

I did get the Current model UV- mostly 'cause my LFS carries it and he now started giving me the price match from on-line ordering. Saved $70 on it too.

Brendan, the more I thinkg about it, yes 300 gph is just that whether straight or twisting. Just that when twisted it would have contact with the light longer. Like going starit up the mountain instead of the winding road round and round.

Anyway, I'm planning on running my UV 1 day a week and maybe 2 weeks with new fish additions, so the high kill rate isn't that important to me.......yet. Think I'm gonna mount it so I can easily replace if the "yet" ever comes.

Thanks all.

Brendan, the more I thinkg about it, yes 300 gph is just that whether straight or twisting. Just that when twisted it would have contact with the light longer. Like going starit up the mountain instead of the winding road round and round.
Yes but no. :D Using your mountain analogy. The winding road would take longer and allow more "exposure" but the road is also longer. Pushing 300GPH through a one foot 1" pipe will have the same exposure time twisting or not. The pump will determine the exposure time. Pushing it through 2 - 1" pipes would double your exposure time. Water volume is the same regardless. Am I making since? Turbo twist work great but the "twist" action is just a sales scheme.

OK. Drive 50 mph in a straight line. Now try that turning left and right over that straight line in a zig zag - same speed. Betcha if you stay near that line and will take you longer to get to point B.

Or drop a ball straight down. Now, in the same speed, let it spiral down. Takes longer to get to the bottom I'm betting.

Still don't have you convinced yet? OK, I'm just gonna have to come down there and do an experiment together. Oh yeah, can I do some snorkelling in your tank while I'm there? Melissa can cook right?

OK. Drive 50 mph in a straight line. Now try that turning left and right over that straight line in a zig zag - same speed. Betcha if you stay near that line and will take you longer to get to point B.
Correct but what you are doing when swerving is making the path traveled longer. So by zig zaging you are making the pipe longer. Back to my point. You take your pipe and twist it or whatever you want to get more exposure time and I will use a straight pipe the same length and diameter. Now we both have 1 hour to get 100 gallons through our pipe. The time water spends in the pipe will be exactly the same wether the pipe is twisted or straight. Actually I am the cook. You bring the steaks. :D

So wouldn't the "pipe" be longer in a turbo twist given the same size filter? If both are 6" long filters, and one twists and one runs straight through, the twist would need to be longer to make up the difference....right?

I wonder if the dia of the pipe changes the kill ratio as well. You could have different dia pipes but the same gph. Pressure through the line would be different, but with a higher pressure, wouldn't there be more varmin in the flow at any given time?

I was under the impression that the water traveled all around the light while twisting thus exposing more water to the UV light versus water only being exposed to one side of the light with the other models. But you are probably right, just a marketing ploy.

P.S. I’m the cook too :D

tec: The water does travel around the the light. My point is there are several ways the same exposure time could be created. If the water was simply pumped though a larger pipe with the light down the middle in a smaller pipe the exposure time should still be the same because the water flow speed would be much less. By putting The water in a small twisted tube the speed of the water has to increase to maintain the flow rate. I am not saying they do not work. I have one and like it. I am talking about physically moving (y) amount of water from point a to b in x amount of time. Water speed or the pipe diameter has to give. The results will always be the same.

I must confess , I cook also. I heard you say that you were going to run it one day every week. I run mine 24/7. What about the rest of you guys.

I am talking about physically moving (y) amount of water from point a to b in x amount of time. Water speed or the pipe diameter has to give. The results will always be the same.

I get what your saying. In essence, assumimg that the water speed is the same, you could increase the dia of the pipe, which would increase the GPH, but the exposure time would still be the same.....

I read in the live aquaria catalog that flow rate rates of +300gph was enough to get rid of algea, but the flow rate would need to be 100-200gph to eliminate parasites. It would be more accurate if company's spoke of exposure time in terms of real time, and not a flow rate that could be vairable.....due to water speed, pipe dia etc..

Back
Top Bottom