Looking for an UPGRADE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I know there is a lot of Protein Skimmers out there But I want to find a good one for my 55g. I need a Good HOB Skimmer? Anyone have an idea on one I know they make the Bak-Pak Dual. But is there something maybe better than that one? I am looking to spend around $350 for a new one.... Let me know..

Thanks
:p

I use an excalibur skimmer. I really like it. They are hard to find though. Maybe you can google it.

I use the AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi I like it. I paid $195.00 with shipping. It took me a week or 2 to break it in which was rather frustrating. But once I got it dialed in it works great. This last week It pulled out well over a pint of skimmate. It wasn't working for a while prior because there was salt creep stuck in the airline tubing so it wasn't mixing with air. Once I fixed that it started pumping out the sludge again like crazy. I did have 2 overflow issues with it at first but that was because I wasn't paying attention to it. Now I don't worry about it at all except when I change the collection cup. And it can be mounted anywhere really as a Hang on Back or in-sump skimmer. Mine actually hangs on the back of my sump

I bought it here http://www.aquatictech.com/skimmers.htm

I also read on this site quite a few people like the Octopus lineup. And the AquaC Remora Pro is a favorite as well

I'm getting a little frustrated/tired of my AquaC Remora, and have been eyeing the Warner Marine HX2. I can't complain about how clean the Remora keeps my tank, but I'm just getting tired of looking at that big Mag3 pump in my tank. And it seems to be wanting to make noises no matter what I do with it now. Along with the other ones mentioned, you might check out the Warner Marine HOB skimmers if you haven't already. They're pricey, but still just under your price point.

I'm getting a little frustrated/tired of my AquaC Remora, and have been eyeing the Warner Marine HX2. I can't complain about how clean the Remora keeps my tank, but I'm just getting tired of looking at that big Mag3 pump in my tank. And it seems to be wanting to make noises no matter what I do with it now. Along with the other ones mentioned, you might check out the Warner Marine HOB skimmers if you haven't already. They're pricey, but still just under your price point.

Octo HOB skimmers are on sale. They got some nice reviews on RC. Octo BH500L for $200 or BHF300F for $170.

Both of you guys are on it today they both look like Winners to me Thanks for the Info... I definitely be choosing between the 2.... You guys are Awesome....:silly:

Skimmers aren't designed to remove phosphates. They remove DOCs in the water if there is phosphates mixed in I guess it would remove them as well but to say a skimmer is good at removing phosphates...your guess is as good as mine.

Like Ziggy mentioned, it all depends on if the phosphates are bound up in organics or not. I know there are organic phosphates and inorganic phosphates, but that question is beyond my knowledge of skimmers at this point!

Regardless, all skimmers really do the same thing. It's just that some do it more efficiently than others. In a nutshell, the sole purpose of a skimmer is to make a lot of bubbles and somehow allow them to rise up out of the water and be trapped. Think of that line of foam at the surfline along the beach. Your skimmer is doing the same thing. So with that in mind, ALL skimmers will remove the same thing. It's just that some will do it better than others.

Sound good enough I only asked the Question cause for some reason I saw a Skimmer that removed phosphates...LOL... I might not have drank my coffee or something... But I will look into the OCTO sounds like a very good deal on that one.... But my options are still open.... I guess i'll just decide in the end and see. By next week I should have my new NOVA PRO so I would need a new skimmer seeing I have a In-sump one in my 55g so that wouldn't work with my lighting system that thing would just be in the way....

Thanks Guys....

Got my Upgrade

Well I ended up not going with what was recommended. I ended up getting a Bak-Pak by CPR... I was at my LFS and I got it for the same price as drfostersmith.com and it was cheaper than what I wanted to spend and I didn't have to pay for shipping which was great. But let me know what you guys think about it? Is it just as good as the Octo?

You will be able to tell if its good by the amount of skimmate it pulls out if it is pulling out the nasty stuff its a good skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom