Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Question Looking for an UPGRADE!

Alright I know there is a lot of Protein Skimmers out there But I want to find a good one for my 55g. I need a Good HOB Skimmer? Anyone have an idea on one I know they make the Bak-Pak Dual. But is there something maybe better than that one? I am looking to spend around $350 for a new one.... Let me know..

Thanks
:p

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I use an excalibur skimmer. I really like it. They are hard to find though. Maybe you can google it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi I like it. I paid $195.00 with shipping. It took me a week or 2 to break it in which was rather frustrating. But once I got it dialed in it works great. This last week It pulled out well over a pint of skimmate. It wasn't working for a while prior because there was salt creep stuck in the airline tubing so it wasn't mixing with air. Once I fixed that it started pumping out the sludge again like crazy. I did have 2 overflow issues with it at first but that was because I wasn't paying attention to it. Now I don't worry about it at all except when I change the collection cup. And it can be mounted anywhere really as a Hang on Back or in-sump skimmer. Mine actually hangs on the back of my sump

I bought it here http://www.aquatictech.com/skimmers.htm

I also read on this site quite a few people like the Octopus lineup. And the AquaC Remora Pro is a favorite as well

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm getting a little frustrated/tired of my AquaC Remora, and have been eyeing the Warner Marine HX2. I can't complain about how clean the Remora keeps my tank, but I'm just getting tired of looking at that big Mag3 pump in my tank. And it seems to be wanting to make noises no matter what I do with it now. Along with the other ones mentioned, you might check out the Warner Marine HOB skimmers if you haven't already. They're pricey, but still just under your price point.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Octo HOB skimmers are on sale. They got some nice reviews on RC. Octo BH500L for $200 or BHF300F for $170.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I'm getting a little frustrated/tired of my AquaC Remora, and have been eyeing the Warner Marine HX2. I can't complain about how clean the Remora keeps my tank, but I'm just getting tired of looking at that big Mag3 pump in my tank. And it seems to be wanting to make noises no matter what I do with it now. Along with the other ones mentioned, you might check out the Warner Marine HOB skimmers if you haven't already. They're pricey, but still just under your price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Octo HOB skimmers are on sale. They got some nice reviews on RC. Octo BH500L for $200 or BHF300F for $170.
Both of you guys are on it today they both look like Winners to me Thanks for the Info... I definitely be choosing between the 2.... You guys are Awesome....
Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with ccCapt, check out the octopus skimmers!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quick ? are the Octo's good at removing Phosphates?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Skimmers aren't designed to remove phosphates. They remove DOCs in the water if there is phosphates mixed in I guess it would remove them as well but to say a skimmer is good at removing phosphates...your guess is as good as mine.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like Ziggy mentioned, it all depends on if the phosphates are bound up in organics or not. I know there are organic phosphates and inorganic phosphates, but that question is beyond my knowledge of skimmers at this point!

Regardless, all skimmers really do the same thing. It's just that some do it more efficiently than others. In a nutshell, the sole purpose of a skimmer is to make a lot of bubbles and somehow allow them to rise up out of the water and be trapped. Think of that line of foam at the surfline along the beach. Your skimmer is doing the same thing. So with that in mind, ALL skimmers will remove the same thing. It's just that some will do it better than others.

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com