Looking for aquarium hood. Where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumberjack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a hood i made myself in te heat of the moment about a year ago when i traded my old tank for a 30 gal (it was a 55 leaking for a 30 gal) and it came with a reptile screen hood. So i cut it down and put a shower liner over it and insulation tape over it (except where the light goes) and vualla a makeshift hood.

It has become an eyesore to my tank and i dont know where to start.

I have pics below of my fixture and light and such.

My tank dimensions are 30 by 12 inch

I need to be able to run both of my filters. I am overkill on my filters because i have African cichlids.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420422834.752268.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420422882.486324.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420422943.852874.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420423011.686096.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420423112.607019.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well you can hang the light from the ceiling or from bars.

Or cheapest, You can get a glass top.

I would get a light fixture that goes all the way across the tank. You might want a new bulb anyway. I use full spectrum 6,500K. Don't exceed hood wattage.

If I could afford it I'd have Kessils.

if you get a new fixture you might look at LEDs. They stay cool and work a long long time.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I went with a versa top from aqueon. Also got a new emperor 400 impeller and a zoomed 50/50 bulb for my t8 fixture. Lighting isn't a huge deal because i have a 30 gallon.

I went with a versa top from aqueon. Also got a new emperor 400 impeller and a zoomed 50/50 bulb for my t8 fixture. Lighting isn't a huge deal because i have a 30 gallon.

Cool. I believe the Aqueon plastic strip is difficult to cut. The plastic strip from the MarineLand version of the top is very thin and cuts like butter.
Was the impeller a replacement for an existing one? If so, it is much quieter now? I have an Emperor 280 that is collecting dust at the moment. It was very loud.

Haha i have many tools that could cut it like butter. And yes it's for a replacement because i got my emperor 400 used for 10 dollars and its made a mechanical noise and its flow is kinda slow and kept the tank water kinda dirty. A new impeller was my first guess. So when that ships in ill write back and let you know.

My problem with adding the glass top is that part of the trim on top where it is suppose to sit was melted in a spot. You think i could Dremel it out and make it be able to sit in it? Ill take a pic when i see my tank later.

My problem with adding the glass top is that part of the trim on top where it is suppose to sit was melted in a spot. You think i could Dremel it out and make it be able to sit in it? Ill take a pic when i see my tank later.

I suppose so. Not sure if it would be easier to remove the trim, do the work and then put it back (goal: less vibration on the glass).
My emperor sounded like a Harley dragging a bunch of rakes down the road. Jk. But it was noisy. I switched to another filter.

You may want to swap the bulb. 50/50s are for SW tanks. Plants can only use half of that light.

I use Zoomed UltraSun bulbs
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Trichromatic-Daylight-Fluorescent/dp/B0002AQA8E

Actinic lighting isn't useable by FW plants.

Its not for plant growth. I like the blue look and glow it outs on the fish and making the rocks "pop" in the black background. I have another t8 fixture i could put my other light in and rotate if i wanted to.

Its not for plant growth. I like the blue look and glow it outs on the fish and making the rocks "pop" in the black background. I have another t8 fixture i could put my other light in and rotate if i wanted to.

Ok, that's fine. It was just FIY. You're the one looking at the tank, so what you like is important.

As a planted tank person, a lot of people don't know about Actinic lights, so I point it out. ?

Switch the impeller and maybe assembly and it will be quiet. Dr fosters sells parts cheap. Check to see if the assembly is in tact,

Haha i thought mbuna destroy live plants and idk if you can grow them in PFS substrate.

Why not build a small canopy to enclose the light and any other accessories? You could make a hinged front access door for feeding.

Dave

Eye sore is relieved and emperor is silent and colors are popping from the 50/50 light. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420837365.979404.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420837379.935618.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420837392.072523.jpg

Back
Top Bottom