Looking for filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plasma800

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a little 15 gallon cube with the very bad HOB filter that came with it as a kit.

I have a lot of past aquarium experience, but have been out of it for a while.

I'm considering upgrading also upgrading soon to a larger tank of 30 35 gallons.

So in looking at filters, I'm trying to decide..... canister, HOB? Should I get one sized properly for the 15, buy another later when I decide to change the tank, or should i get a model now that works for both, even though it's over kill for the 15.

Read a lot of bad things about the fluvial canisters as of late... lots of issues leaking at the seal?? So i'm in search of options.

Thanks! :hide:

Look into the Fluval C series HOBs . You can get one the right size for the 30/35 gal and they have adjustable flow , so would work on the 15 in the mean time.

Saw a little about those, do you know if they are loud or quiet?

Theyre louder than I like.. noise went away after a year but it still annoyed me. I'd just go with an ac 50. They're tried and true, can't go wrong there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking too I should just go ahead and jump to the 30. But I'm looking for a setup that's visually amazing to look at in it's own right. That's a tough find these days.

My little tank is covered with snails! UGH must have imported some eggs with a fish, that's the last time I ever get a fish at petsmart, and I even knew better!!!!!!!

I plan to drain my 15, toss everything in it, and then just use it as a quarantine tank for fish being introduced into my new tank.

I'm thinking of going to biotope route again, done that many times in the past, just not sure what region of the world to go for this time :)

Does anyone make smaller tanks with built in overflows these days? I've always had pretty good luck with a wet dry filter in freshwater apps. I think I even still have a small one in the attic.... hmmmm

My wife is like "I thought you just wanted a new filter!?" haha whoops.

Theyre louder than I like.. noise went away after a year but it still annoyed me. I'd just go with an ac 50. They're tried and true, can't go wrong there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Odd.. My C4 is dead quiet. The AC makes more splash noise than it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The C series is different from the AC series. I just caught that.

My C4 has been quite since day one. I have it in my bedroom and all I hear is the water returning to the tank, and I like that ..lol

My C4 has been quite since day one. I have it in my bedroom and all I hear is the water returning to the tank, and I like that ..lol

Same with mine plus 3 other tanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

*shrug* both the fluval and the AC are good filters. You can't really go wrong by picking either.

Back
Top Bottom