Looking for filtration recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piranha

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I purchased my 30h tank at my Lfs the salesmen recomended the penguin 170.After 6 months and many partial water changes I can say this filter is the worst ever made.Cloudy water,loose particles floating about.It might be way underpowered for this tank. Fish are not overfed,they consume all food .This is a freshwater tank.I would like to hear some recomendations.I'm thinking of trying the aquaclear 300 or rena filstar xp cannister 2 or maybe the magnum 350(marineland).After being away from the aquatic world for some years now I would appreciate some input. The best filters some time ago were the aquamaster PMEorPL models.The dynaflos were also good. :?

Penguins are great filters, but the one you have is too small for your tank. Most people here would agree that you need 10gph per gallon. An AC300 would work, as would a Penguin 330, an emporer 280, xp3, or a HOT magnum.

I would definitely recommend the XP2 for that tank - I think for the money this line of canisters is an excellent price performer.

Thanks all for your help.After reading many reviews on different types of filters I'm narrowing it down to the AC 300 or the filstar Xp 3.My 30gallon is an extra high tank so I'm looking for a filter with a strong water return.Bring back the old aquamasters! :x

IMHO, hang on back filters are easier to maintain and work equally well to a canister style. The Aquaclear is an awesome filter and has extensions for the intake to take it lower in the tank if needed. Also, I would recommend a small sponge filter set in the opposite corner of the tank, cheap and affective!

An XP3 might be a little much for a 30- you might have too much current. What about the XP2?

Back
Top Bottom