Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following along if you don't mind

Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

So if i was to try and DIY some light what sort of specs would i have to look for in the leds themselves???

Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of DIY lights are you thinking about?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Using SMD in a long chain similaryo other led grow lights but home built
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

What factors do i need to work the "par" and are the light wavelength in the initial paragraph right for plant growth???
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doubt you can build a diy fixture strong enough for that tall tank to get good pars on the bottom. But you definitely can if you're looking for a low light setup
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking at it now. It would be fair easy to put together a normal grow light but i would need to get hold of some focussing optics for better par. It in the end it would be cheaper to buy them.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I emailed the company about the led tubes i asked about earlier about the nm of the light

The tubes use a 7500k white, plus a blue to further the temperature colour upwards. I have attached an LED temperature colour chart for your reference. The 7500k temperature colour is in the 450-550nm wavelength region, and the blue is 430-450nm. Adding UV (as we do, for UVGI ) pushes the wavelength down to below 400nm, giving a pretty good overall PAR spectrum. Adding the red will give you some of the lower spectrum, about 680-690nm. We use this for highlighting fish and plants that have an orange or red hue, not so much for the plants or cool/natural lighting effect. It is the white/blue that gives you penetration of water.

We haven't tested our tubes to get a PAR rating, but the feedback we get is such as 'my plants are really flourishing' and 'my plants were going yelllow, but since fitting my tube on Thursday, they have now grown 2cm!' I am confident you plants will respond well.

Hope this helps, thank you for your interest.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerz View Post
It in the end it would be cheaper to buy them.
Exactly. I understand a diy to save some $$ but for larger/deeper tanks the time and $ you're going to invest ain't worth it. Plus the sleekness of the led strips is great. Although the strips won't give you good PARs on the bottom it'll do a good job lighting up the tank. If you want good led lighting that'll penetrate the 2 options I found are the kessil a150w or the grobeam 1500 8"x8" tile. Both can be put in a canopy, or hung, and they both have brackets to just rest em on top of your tank. The kessil is 32watts and the grobeam 30watts.
The good thing about kessil is that its cheaper, and has a very sleek look when you mount it with the goose neck, but it is an on/off unit only. The gro beam is a little more expensive, but it can be hooked up to a controller to simulate sun rise/ sun down and even a lighting storm. But you need the $300 controller.
So after doing my research I chose the strips, but after talking to a member here that used those strips before, I've finalized my setup to 1 strip and a couple lunar LEDs that'll be controlled by a onetouch controller and a pair of kessils just hooked up to a timer.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kessils are £200 per unit plus another 30 For the goose neck. That will alot later down line lol.

Thanks for the help.
Think the best option will be just use java fern

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com