Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking for LOW FLOW powerhead

Hello all,

I have been having some algae issues near the top of my tank on my plants and have determined that the high light level and low flow near the top of the tank on one side is causing a nutrient deficiency that is ripe for algae.

I need a very low flow powerhead to keep a slight current at the surface so water does not stagnate.

My tank is a 20 gallon high, and I would prefer it to be inexpensive.

Could anyone view this page (from PetSmart) and tell me which one would fit my needs and budget? I'm leaning towards the AquaClear line since their HOB filters are excellent, but I don't know how well their powerheads are. Thanks.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/searc...N=2030138&Ne=2

justin

Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #2

Their Powerheads are also great. If you really think this will help then get the 101.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
wait you dont have filter right now?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, I have an aquaclear 50 on the tank now that more than does enough filtering, the problem with a 20gallon high tank is that the water current on the opposite side of the tank from the filter does not get consistent movement when the plants grow to near the surface (they form a barrier). This causes algae to grow as the plants exhaust all of the nutrients in that area, and then cannot continue to grow.

It's an annoyance, and I believe that having a very low flow powerhead (so that it doesn't upset my DIY CO2 amounts) will stop the algae.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I love my AC powerheads. Mike's reccomendation sounds good to me.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com