Looking for LOW FLOW powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have been having some algae issues near the top of my tank on my plants and have determined that the high light level and low flow near the top of the tank on one side is causing a nutrient deficiency that is ripe for algae.

I need a very low flow powerhead to keep a slight current at the surface so water does not stagnate.

My tank is a 20 gallon high, and I would prefer it to be inexpensive.

Could anyone view this page (from PetSmart) and tell me which one would fit my needs and budget? I'm leaning towards the AquaClear line since their HOB filters are excellent, but I don't know how well their powerheads are. Thanks.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/search_results.jsp?In=Fish&N=2030138&Ne=2

justin

Their Powerheads are also great. If you really think this will help then get the 101.

No, I have an aquaclear 50 on the tank now that more than does enough filtering, the problem with a 20gallon high tank is that the water current on the opposite side of the tank from the filter does not get consistent movement when the plants grow to near the surface (they form a barrier). This causes algae to grow as the plants exhaust all of the nutrients in that area, and then cannot continue to grow.

It's an annoyance, and I believe that having a very low flow powerhead (so that it doesn't upset my DIY CO2 amounts) will stop the algae.

Back
Top Bottom