Looking for new filter opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
I havent been on here in awhile

I have my 55g going again, I have an older fluval 304 that I used with a koralia 2 when it was a planted tank.

Im planning on doing african cichlids this time, I know people get crazy with filtering

I'm thinking about adding a ac70 for the side(know I'll likely have to trim the plastic lip)

I know people are going to say get an ac110, but if it comes to that I would prob just get a sun sun canister for the same $$

What do you think?

Hello Speed...

If you're willing to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week, then get a single filter that will turn over 4 times the water volume of your tank and keep a backup running. A 55 G will need a filter system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of a bit more than 200.

A couple of Hagen AC50s, about $38.00 each at the local pet store, set on opposite sides of the tank will work fine. If one goes south on you, you'll have a back up that will handle the gas exchange needed to maintain the tank.

The water change is the real filter, not the filters themselves. The filters do a good job of getting oxygen into the water, which allows carbon dioxide to escape, but do little to keep the tank water pure.

B

Thanks

I do have the old fluval 304 running on the tank, just looking for an additional filter, thinking the ac 70 will be fine

I also just purchased the aqueon water changer, I'm sure I will love it when I get it so it will be easy to do 50% wc's every week

I say get the sun sun if you can. I just started using canister filters along with twice weekly water changes and I love the difference. Much easier to deal with IMO then the HOB filters.

Back
Top Bottom