Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for one or two good air pumps

I have a 26gal freshwater bow front tank. Its about 17" deep. I want to drive two maybe three airstones. I wouldnt mind having a pump that is serviceable. From reading several forums it looked like corallife brand didnt have such good customer service. The pump(s) will be sitting on a shelf below aquarium so total travel distance for air will be up 30 or so inches and then down 17". Not looking for the cheapest just something that lasts and can be maintained if needed.

Thanks in advance

swood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
I use and love the Azoo 9500s. They are cheap on drsf&s, especially when on sale. They are strong and reliable, I have about five for up to six years or so and never had any problems. I love the amount of air they produce, even at the bottom of my 150.

Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The only distance that matters to the pump as far how much air it can push is how deep underwater the airstone is, which you said was 17 inches.

Water adds 14.7psi per 33 feet. So 17 inches is around 0.67psi minimum needed to blow air. So basically any good air pump will do.

One thing that came to mind when you said where you're putting the pump, have a stop-vavle (one way valve) so if your pumps shuts off for any reason the hose won't accidently siphon water into your airpump.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" A. Einstein
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
"We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough." Helen Keller
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air pump, air pumps, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com