Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Looking for recommendations for 48" programmable LED Strip light

Hi all,

As the title says, I am looking for a LED strip light for my 48" aquarium, freshwater with no plants or low light plants that can be programmed to shut off/light up and specific times etc. I was thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to buying a Fluval Aquasky when I said sort of off-hand "And this works with just a regular timer right?" and I could see the store clerk's face drop like he knew he had just lost a customer. He explained I need a separate unit from Fluval to be able to have it auto shut off/turn on, otherwise I would have to use a remote control each time. Honestly, why would anyone want that kind of limitation, shouldn't that be built in to the light or some kind of auto-on feature so a regular timer can be used?

Anyhow, I looked up reviews on the Fluval timer and it's getting torn to pieces in most review regarding poor reliance and buttons that barely work, if at all.

What are people changing to? Should I just build my own LED hood from IKEA strip lights and go with that? They'll work with a timer if I get the regular white ones. I also don't mind paying for something built specifically for aquariums, just want something that won't break in a month and can be programmed to shut on and off during the day.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have the aqua sky. The clerk is FOS. You don't need Fluvals over priced timer. Mine is on a 3$ timer I bought from a dollar store last year. If you do get the aqua sky, put the remote in a safe place because if you lose it you won't be able to turn it on or off.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

You should look at the various Beamswork 48" models. Inexpensive, sleek chassis, timer is separate/optional (pretty sure it can run on a standard timer).
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyles View Post
I have the aqua sky. The clerk is FOS. You don't need Fluvals over priced timer. Mine is on a 3$ timer I bought from a dollar store last year. If you do get the aqua sky, put the remote in a safe place because if you lose it you won't be able to turn it on or off.
Wtf really? So if you turn on the led strip with the remote, then unplug it and re-plug it in, it turns back on without having turn use the remote again? Ugh I hate stores sometimes...
Old 08-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not sure if you've seen this. I just bought one. Gets here Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0HMX1C...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguru View Post
Not sure if you've seen this. I just bought one. Gets here Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0HMX1C...ing=UTF8&psc=1
That looks beautiful but the $670 CDN price tag made my wallet scream, run out the front door and steal my truck

Tags
led, light, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com