Looking for sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burque

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to put sand in my tank which will house my Tandanus catfish. I need something which will be smooth enough so that he does not damage his barbels. In addition, I'd also like it to be natural river looking.

Does anyone know of a product which is sandy and soft in texture and dark in colour? Perhaps red or brown?

Anyone had luck at Home Depot-type stores?

I've seen Tahitian moon sand in the bag but was worried it would be too glossy and dark to look natural. If I can't find anything else, this will be my fall back, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, you could always do a different version of the CaribSea brand sand.

Blasting sand may be too "sharp". I've never used it, but my cory cats do well with the CaribSea Tahitian...

Good luck!

pool filter sand is the cheapest option and looks pretty nice, I use it in most of my tanks. It isn't dark in color though, just looks like regular sand

DL, I didn't see any other colours than black in LFS, so assumed that was it. Will look up that brand and see what I might be able to order in. Great idea, thank you.

Q, I'm looking for darker sand so that catfish doesn't change colour too much. Otherwise, pool filter sand would be perfect! :)

Well, I use Amazon.com to secure the majority of my aquatic supplies. I do know of several colors of sand when I looked for mine, although they may have been a different brand...

I did find this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...qid=1423535935&sr=1-54&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

It is a sand even though it looks like pebbles.

Good luck!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

I have not decided what to do yet. I'm either thinking I'll go the dramatic look of TMS or more gentle appearance if white play sand. Either way, catfish should be happy.

I guess it's just down to aesthetics. Oh decisions, decisions....

I have a mix of playsand and natural pebble stone. Corries are always rearranging things so I guess they enjoy it too.

I like Carib Sea products. If you're looking for natural I like the combination of their Peace River Sand and Sunset Gold Sand. I bought both from Amazon. I can share a photo if you're interested, just let me know!

Thanks for your replies!

I haven't looked into shipping sand but worry about quarantine and shipping costs (I'm in Australia)

I have found some more natural looking small gravel to add confusion to my mind.

So far play sand is winning despite light colour because it's all that's available at Home Depot-type store here and I'm running out of time. If I don't like it, it's a cheap mistake.

Right now I think it's really coming down to deciding what I want and unfortunately, no one can help me with making up my mind lolol in any case, tank is cycling bare-bottomed so time is not wasted

Back
Top Bottom