Looking for small HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 16 gallon tank right now, but I think the filter is weak. What is a small HOB filter I could add to help with large amounts of waste?

I may consider internal filters if needed, but I don't like the fact that they take up space.

Aqua clears always been top notch. An AC20 should be fine or you can get an AC30 for better performance but make sure your fish can tolerate higher water flow if you go with the 30.

Could I use a powerhead to help with filtration. I never used one before. Could it pick up waste from the floor, and then the waste could eventually make its way to my current filter?

If your fish can handle the extra water movement then yes. What do you have in the tank? If they are peaceful species why not consider a few shrimp? They'll eat whatever food isn't eaten by your fish and will be quite the clean up crew.

I'm planning to put a single FW puffer in there. It will add to my collection. My future puffer will definitely eat all the shrimps lol.

Is there something I can add to the powerhead itself to help filtration? Or are powerheads only used to move water?

They basically only move water. If your concern is the build up in the gravel then get a gravel vac if you don't already have one. You'll be doing water changes weekly anyway. As long as the tank is cycled and you do your weekly water changes you'll be alright. If it concerns you go with the AC30.

Terrance said:
I'm planning to put a single FW puffer in there. It will add to my collection. My future puffer will definitely eat all the shrimps lol.

Is there something I can add to the powerhead itself to help filtration? Or are powerheads only used to move water?

Aqua Clear makes a "Quick Filter" that will fit their powerheads that will provide mechanical and perhaps a little biological filtration. However, that will be as large as many of the internal filters at that point, but possibly have more gph.

Aqua Clear makes a "Quick Filter" that will fit their powerheads that will provide mechanical and perhaps a little biological filtration. However, that will be as large as many of the internal filters at that point, but possibly have more gph.

I have a 30 and 50 with the filter attachments. They work very well picking up floating debris.

I know you can adjust the flow on the 50 and I'm pretty sure the same holds true with the 30.

Back
Top Bottom