Looking for the cheapest 10 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to buy several 10 gallon tanks for breeding, fry, and QT tanks. I've estimated that a Top Fin 10 gallon hood light combo with AquaClear 30 filter, gravel, plants, etc. will cost about $100. Is there a cheaper route?

Thanks!

Try craigslist. I got a butt load of lights, heaters, filters, 6 ten g tanks, 1 20 long, and an acrylic hexagon tank for $100. Also gravel, books, etc. and some 40g fiberglass grow out tubs. Pretty much a whole fish room. Oh, and a metal stand.

Try craigslist. I got a butt load of lights, heaters, filters, 6 ten g tanks, 1 20 long, and an acrylic hexagon tank for $100. Also gravel, books, etc. and some 40g fiberglass grow out tubs. Pretty much a whole fish room. Oh, and a metal stand.

I check there periodically but it's sometimes hard to find deals in my area.

Wait for a $1 a gallon sales on new tank, use pool filter sand for substrate, sponge filters. Build your own racks and get Home Depot strip lights to span multiple tanks. Use some river rocks for decoration.

Craigslist is good if someone is getting rid of a lot of stuff, if you have time to watch for a good deal.

Wait for a $1 a gallon sales on new tank, use pool filter sand for substrate, sponge filters. Build your own racks and get Home Depot strip lights to span multiple tanks. Use some river rocks for decoration.

Craigslist is good if someone is getting rid of a lot of stuff, if you have time to watch for a good deal.

I've been trying to find out when the $1 per gallon sales are gonna be, I have both a petco and petsmart available. Pfs is what I already had in mind, or black blasting sand. As far as a filter goes, even though I want cheap I'm hooked on aquaclear. I've been wondering what I'd do for a hood and light, I didn't think of Home Depot strips.

I still don't know if I wanna put my money into some 10 gals or a nice, big 75 gallon setup.

As far as lights, a dome reflector and a cfl or two would be pretty cheap and effective.

Dome reflectors are just those clip on work light things. Here's a pic I pulled off the internet:

image-3912236210.jpg

And cfl's are those spiral light bulbs. Like this:

image-1935883354.jpg

I would look for the daylight bulbs, either the 13 watt or the 26 watt. You could either put a reflector on each end with a 13 watt bulb in it or one reflector in the middle with a 26 watt. The daylight bulbs are good for planted tanks, but if you don't want to plant the tanks then any color temperature would work.

The Walmart around me sales 10 gallon tanks for around 14 bucks, then they have a kit with a filter that is around 40 I think. It has a hood, lights, small filter.

I almost never run hoods on my tanks, instead I use egg crate or just leave it open depending on the fish. So, depending on the fish you are breeding I would choose between those, then both suggestions for lighting are good that are posted above me. They are mostly just for you to see the fish so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. While the Aquaclears are imo one of the best HOB filters out there you'll have to be very careful using one with fry, it'll suck them right up. I'd use some sort of sponge filter. I would also suggest on not skimping for a cheap heater.

As others have stated, Craigslist is an excellent source. I've gotten some great deals off there, and have actually never had a problem with any of the tanks I've received. Of course the heaters and accessories are another story, but that's not why I bought the tank.

Dome reflectors are just those clip on work light things. Here's a pic I pulled off the internet:

And cfl's are those spiral light bulbs. Like this:

I would look for the daylight bulbs, either the 13 watt or the 26 watt. You could either put a reflector on each end with a 13 watt bulb in it or one reflector in the middle with a 26 watt. The daylight bulbs are good for planted tanks, but if you don't want to plant the tanks then any color temperature would work.

Ah, I think I actually have a few laying around.

The Walmart around me sales 10 gallon tanks for around 14 bucks, then they have a kit with a filter that is around 40 I think. It has a hood, lights, small filter.

I almost never run hoods on my tanks, instead I use egg crate or just leave it open depending on the fish. So, depending on the fish you are breeding I would choose between those, then both suggestions for lighting are good that are posted above me. They are mostly just for you to see the fish so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. While the Aquaclears are imo one of the best HOB filters out there you'll have to be very careful using one with fry, it'll suck them right up. I'd use some sort of sponge filter. I would also suggest on not skimping for a cheap heater.

As others have stated, Craigslist is an excellent source. I've gotten some great deals off there, and have actually never had a problem with any of the tanks I've received. Of course the heaters and accessories are another story, but that's not why I bought the tank.

I know Walmart sells those things cheap, but I can get a plain tank from petsmart for about the same price. I definitely don't want a Walmart kit though. Would an aquaclear be ok with a pre filter sponge?

Thanks!

I know Walmart sells those things cheap, but I can get a plain tank from petsmart for about the same price. I definitely don't want a Walmart kit though. Would an aquaclear be ok with a pre filter sponge?

Thanks!

A pre filter sponge will work fine.

I made these for my fry tanks. They are very effective filters and cost about $1 each to make at most.

75748-albums12252-picture60018.jpg

There are tons of tiny slits at the bottom. You stick an airstone inside the top and the bubbles pull water through the filter. Completely fry safe as well.

That's pretty awesome. Just a DIY under gravel filter at a fraction of the cost.

There are tons of tiny slits at the bottom. You stick an airstone inside the top and the bubbles pull water through the filter. Completely fry safe as well.

That's pretty neat, is there a website that I can find instructions for it?

Back
Top Bottom