Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow thanks for all the posts I learned quite a bit about UGFs and I am still not sure which route I'm gunna go. Def not canisters though. Them suckers are EXPENSIVE!!! At least for my budget. I don't mind using the gravel vac with every water change cuz I currently do exactly that every two weeks with my 20 gallon and that doesn't have a UGF anyways. I guess it's just what everyone prefers. I wanted the UGF for the extra filtration that's all. I was told the extra filtration would only help. That's all.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaderman View Post
Def not canisters though. Them suckers are EXPENSIVE!!! At least for my budget. ......
There are less expensive options. I have two of these (one is 264 gph and the other 530 gph) and I like them every bit as much as the XPs and Fluvals, if not MORE. 3-STAGE CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER FOR FRESH/SALT WATER - eBay (item 160404927985 end time Feb-10-11 11:56:47 PST)

Once you switch to a canister, you'll never go back.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Undergravel filters are a huge nuisance, especially in a large tank. They eventually clog up, which means you have to remove all the plants and substrate to clean the filter, then put it all back again, which disrupts the entire aquarium and is bad for the plants. Also, plant roots become entangled in the filter, which makes it even more of a hassle to clean. On a tank that size your best bet is a good outside canister filter, which can be cleaned and maintained easily. (Benn there, done that.)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Back in the day… I used to use one and loved it, I had a 30 gallon tall set up for over 3 years with a single powerhead working the UGF, I also had a HOB running with it. It was even planted. I was told at the time to place a 3/8 “ thick floss material under the gravel that I did do and after the 3 years I had to move and took the tank down. The amount of sludge material under it was minimal. That tank was one of the most trouble free tanks I have ever had. Do UGF have issues yep! Same as any set up no matter what filter you use. “Outdated” I wouldn’t use that term.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1 View Post
There are less expensive options. I have two of these (one is 264 gph and the other 530 gph) and I like them every bit as much as the XPs and Fluvals, if not MORE. 3-STAGE CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER FOR FRESH/SALT WATER - eBay (item 160404927985 end time Feb-10-11 11:56:47 PST)

Once you switch to a canister, you'll never go back.
That looks like a Marineland C-series knock-off. I wonder who makes it???

As for UGFs, I ran them for years but never did frequent enough maintenance and tore the tank down once a year (when I didn't know much better) to clean the tank. Had one crash big time when I slacked on maintenance but that was my fault. I ran it with 2 powerheads.

Last time I set it up, in 6 months the crud that built up was pretty nasty - I took it out, because I was going planted, and got a Marineland C-series canister and I'll never go back to a UGF. 30 minutes to clean it every 3 weeks and it also could handle an immense bio-load, which I definitely had.

As for the cost, you just cannot beat a UGF. Plates and 2 power heads and that's it. like what is stated above, you have to diligently clean down to the gravel plate to suck all the gunk out on a weekly basis, and it's best to use larger diameter gravel that will not compact and obstruct flow.

I came up with a pretty decent idea for cleaning under a UGF plate without removing it. You take a canister filter with a diatom cartridge in it (Marineland Magnum 350 is what I have) and use some long flex hose, connect the intake hose to the UGF riser tube, and then stick the output hose to one of the other connection points on the UGF at the opposite end, and just blow the crud right out. You would only need to do this once about every 6 months to a year. I never tried this since I went planted and took out the UGF plate, but it sounded like a great idea. I think it would work well with the large rectangular Penn-Plax white plate (large corrugations) but not well with the smaller square ones (do NOT buy those).

PS if you want a UGF I've still got mine & probably won't use it again. It's 20+ years old but in perfect condition, except a little yellow. Have all caps, riser tubes, etc (for a 55 = 2x plates)
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
That looks like a Marineland C-series knock-off. I wonder who makes it???
There's a good reason for this - the company that makes these is the manufacturer of the marineland canisters.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

How can I find out who it is, I need a replacement part!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
How can I find out who it is, I need a replacement part!!
What part?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Valve block and impeller for C-360.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Valve block and impeller for C-360.
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Mari...riesManual.pdf

Tags
filter, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com