Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to molotov256 Send a message via MSN to molotov256 Send a message via Yahoo to molotov256
Lots of used equipment, unsure what to do

Hi there... I got a killer deal on some used aquarium stuff. I got a 55g tank & stand, 2 power filters (the ones that hang on the back of the tank), 2 undergravel filter plate things, some tubes and stuff, and 2 power heads (I think thats what they're called). It's all in really rough shape, but I paid a big $40 for it, so I couldn't really say no.

Now, my main question is what the %^@! to do with the undergravel stuff and power heads. I've seen the canister filter setups before, but this setup seems to have no canister, so I don't quite get what it does. A friend of mine said that the power heads just suck water through the gravel and shoot it back out in the tank, but it's all below the waterline. Can I use this equipment with a filter somehow?

I think I'm going to use this tank for a few oscars (2 or 3 at most). Do I even need all this fancy hardware?

molotov256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
There are many who would disagree with me, but I'd scrap the UGF and stick with the HOB's, and even invest in a quality canister as supplemental filtration, since you have already saved so much (Killer deal! Congratulations!).

You could use the powerheads on their own to circulate water in the tank, but eventually UGF's come to grief, as the space beneath them eventually needs attention, even with reverse-flow, like what was obviously used in this particular setup.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I can tell you I think the best purchase I made when I bought all my equipment was the Eheim canister filter. The thing is SILENT (I have to touch it and feel the slight hum/vibration to know it's running). So far I have been VERY happy with it. The one I bought was from here for almost $50 less than my LFS:

Says it handles up to 65 gallon tanks. If you decide to get one and need any help with it, feel free to PM me - I found the directions poorly written and graphics did not help so I had to investigate a little to figure it all out.
36 gallon bowfront w/all fake ornaments, Eheim 2213 canister filter, one sub heater (have a hanging heater for backup), and a 4" airstone.
MoxieGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Congratulations on the great deal!

I've never had oscars, but from what I've read/heard, 2 or 3 may be too many for a 55g tank. (They get quite big and need swimming room - My upstairs neighbor has 1 oscar in a 30g tank and it can barely turn around)
46g community
7 Australian Rainbowfish
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com