Loud Air Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am using a Whisper 60 air pump and according to what the company says these are supposed to be very quite. Mine makes a loud humming noise all the time. Is there anything I can do make it more quite? I purchased an aquarium check valve and was thinking about using that with some longer air line tubing and moving it to the floor in the hopes that it would be quiter on the carpet. Does that sound like it might work or does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help, this sound is getting really annoying.

What is it on, what is it up against?

I keep mine(20+ year old whispers) next to the tank, on wood but give 3" of clearance all the way around. I do run 18" longer in airline then I need and have check valves on them.

I used to do with junk pumps was put them on a washrag or hand towel from the wifes stash in the kitchen.

It's sitting on the top shelf of my desk. This puts it about 2 inches higher than and about 4 inches from the side of my tank. There is nothing touching it. I tried sticking a towel under it but it didnt change and when I pick it up it still makes that same humming sound so now I'm guessing that putting it down on the carpent probably won't make a diference either. My hob filter is so quite, just wish I could get the airpump quite too.

well air pumps are not needed so you might just want to ditch it. you can always put it in a box with some foam to cut the sound down.

Ive noticed a greater growth improvement in my live plants using an air pump. it doesnt filter the Co2 out and all it really does is compress the air and move it from the room to the tank.

I don't have any live plants. This is my first tank and I wanted to start with something a little more simple. I just happen to like the look of the bubbles. :)

Some air pumps will have a rubber membrane (almost like a drum) inside the pump that push the air through the tubing. If you can get inside, check those. I've had air pumps before and had to replace them because the membranes tear and lets air out. When they tear, the air pump will make a guite loud, almost rattling sound. Have you noticed any decrease in the amount of air its pumping out?

We went through and replaced all our newer model Whispers (the blue funky shaped, supposedly sooooooo much quieter than other pumps) with the Petco generic brand because they were too loud. Straight from the box! And they also died with in months. The air flow decreased considerably. With the new Petco ones, we haven't had any problem with noise or losing power. But as suggested above, check the diaphragm. It could need to be replaced, and you can find the kits pretty easily.

Tetra Whisper Air Pump Replacement Diaphragm Assembly Aquarium Air Pump Parts

Back
Top Bottom