Loud Penguin 170

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depdiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:cry: I have a Penguin 170 bio-wheel filter that is about 4 months old. Over the last couple of weeks it has gotten quite a bit louder. I'm not talking about the water splashing if the level low. Last night I took the filter apart and cleaned all the parts. It seems like the impeller is vibrating or rubbing on something, but I can't find it. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to quiet this filter down?

Thanks,

I place a barbell above mine Emperor 400. It seems to quiet it down quite a bit. Do you have sand as a substrate? Can you see any damage to the impeller. Jeff

My guess is also sand. This tends to get into the rotating part of the impeller, and can damage the magnetic surface, and prevent it from turning efficiently.

Also, check that the intake tube isn't split or broken anywhere. If it is, the filter may be working harder than it should have to to suck water up.

Lastly, make sure the sponges are thoroughly cleaned. If the water is not cascading easily out of the filter, the impeller may be working harder than it needs to.

No sand. The impeller looks brand new. (it was algae covered before I cleaned it) The intake tube is also in great shape. I think I'll take it apart again tonight and see if I can quiet it down.

Thanks,

Is it noisey with the top cover off. I have had several HOBs that the cover vibrates. If that is the problem, tape it down.

update: After a while it got quiet again. Can't explain it. I work in IT for a Catholic hospital, sometimes when things fix themselves we have a acronym for it: GFI it stands for God fixed it. :D

i had the same issue depdiver. Mine turned out that there was actually some par tof the impellor that was a little loose and knicking the side of its housing. all i did was bang it on the table and it musta done something right cause now it works better then ever!

depdiver said:
update: After a while it got quiet again. Can't explain it. I work in IT for a Catholic hospital, sometimes when things fix themselves we have a acronym for it: GFI it stands for God fixed it. :D

GFI. I am going to use that today!

Back
Top Bottom