low cost auto water level control system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajacinth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small sump and have to fill it with water three times a week. So I was looking for a method to auto fill it if I'm away for a few days. I've asked several fish store how this is accomplished. To my dismay no one knew. So here is what I came up with.

I found a toilet fill valve system call QuiteFill by Korky ($5.99). Then bought 5 foot 1/2 inch tubing (34 cents). After I shaved the bottom threads off a bit, so that it would fit in my sump, I attached the tubing with the plastic ballcock and friction ring made by Plum Pak (70 cents). The one that came with the fill valve wasn't snug enough. I ran the tubing into the bottom of a plastic bucket ($3.99). I sealed the tubing to the bucket via a hole I cut, along with two additional 1/2 inch friction rings and compression fittings ($1.80). Then I sealed the bucket with silicon for added measure.

The valve was placed in the sump at the water mark indicated on it. The bucket needs to be at a higher level than the sump so it the water can flow down via gravity. Thats it. So far its worked great no issues. I double checked the valve for metal by taking it apart. However, I make no claims to any issues that may arise if this is implemented on ones tank.

Attachments

• autofill_01.jpg
    autofill_01.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 280
  • autofill_02.jpg
    autofill_02.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 359
Back
Top Bottom