Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lower filter intakes or add powerhead

I have 200g aquarium that it 72x24x27(length x width x height).

I have two Eheim 2080 canister filters in-place. If you are not familiar with these they are moderately high flow units but they are somewhat unique in that they have two intakes per filter. I have the tank setup with extended spray bars coming off the center of the tank in the upper back and one intake from each filter in the left and right corner.

There is generally good flow in the tank but I am seeing fish waste collect in the areas of the intake tubes on top of the sand.

It seems like there is two potential ways to solve this problem. I could put a powerhead in place to create flow to lift the waste up off the sand or I could extend the length of the intake tubes so they were closer to the bottom. I already put one extension in each intake tube to make them longer I am not sure if continuing to lengthen these tubes will impede flow through the filter. As for powerheads, I guess I would put one small unit on each side? It seems like anything powerful enough to force current the entire length of a 6ft tank would also disturb the sand near the powerhead itself.

Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could you post pics of how the filters intakes and outflows are positioned?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_holic View Post
Could you post pics of how the filters intakes and outflows are positioned?
Yes, I can do that when I get home.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Instead of spending $20 on a cheap power head.. I would get a a top fin internal 40g filter.... I know that sounds weird why add another filter... well for one its a filter... but two its internal and works as a power head as well.. It comes with a spray bar that has like 6-7 holes in it and will cover more ground then a powerhead would and its adjustable.

Tags
filter, intake, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com