Lower filter intakes or add powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalto

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 200g aquarium that it 72x24x27(length x width x height).

I have two Eheim 2080 canister filters in-place. If you are not familiar with these they are moderately high flow units but they are somewhat unique in that they have two intakes per filter. I have the tank setup with extended spray bars coming off the center of the tank in the upper back and one intake from each filter in the left and right corner.

There is generally good flow in the tank but I am seeing fish waste collect in the areas of the intake tubes on top of the sand.

It seems like there is two potential ways to solve this problem. I could put a powerhead in place to create flow to lift the waste up off the sand or I could extend the length of the intake tubes so they were closer to the bottom. I already put one extension in each intake tube to make them longer I am not sure if continuing to lengthen these tubes will impede flow through the filter. As for powerheads, I guess I would put one small unit on each side? It seems like anything powerful enough to force current the entire length of a 6ft tank would also disturb the sand near the powerhead itself.

Thoughts?

Instead of spending $20 on a cheap power head.. I would get a a top fin internal 40g filter.... I know that sounds weird why add another filter... well for one its a filter... but two its internal and works as a power head as well.. It comes with a spray bar that has like 6-7 holes in it and will cover more ground then a powerhead would and its adjustable.

Back
Top Bottom