lower tank using canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive just set up 20L and am attempting to use an Eheim Ecco canister to filter it. I say "attempting" because the tank itself is only a couple inches off the floor and I think there isnt enough height difference between the outtake and the filter. The canister never seems to fill completely, and no matter how much I shake/tilt it there is always air in it. The more it runs, the more air

Has anybody else had the same or similar problem that they were able to find a solution for? Or was using a canister on an aquarium that low to the ground ill-fated from the get-go?

Mine eheim canister is running on a tank a few inches off the ground. My friend set it up but we filled the canister with water first and primed it a few times before plugging it in and its working. Hope this helps!

I tried connecting the water pump from my Fluval Spec to the canister's intake... no dice there. It would push water into the canister and water would flow out, but the air pocket remained. :ermm:

Finally, in one last act of desperation/stupidity I removed the top so that I could manually top it off with tank water. A fair amount of water came rushing out as I removed the top and even more while I was putting it back on. :facepalm:
However, this seems to have done the trick. If I dont hear any air noises in the next day or so, then I'll know for sure. In the future, I'll be sure to attempt this method in the kitchen sink. :lol:

The problem is that canister filter pumps are designed to 'push', not 'pull'. Under normal conditions, passive filling of the canister by gravity replaces the 'pull' of the powerhead. Not so with equal level filters. This can cause calvitations or excess wear on the pump, reducing it's life.

hmm... its too late for a HoB. The stand is tethered to the wall and I didnt leave enough room for one (because I really wanted the small canister to work).
Id rather save the Ecco for a possible future tank rather than run it into an early grave.
Can anybody suggest a good internal filter or another alternative? For now its just plants, but I may add some shrimp, snails and corys down the road.

One end is next to an end table (where Im currently hiding the two canisters), so again there's no room. The other end would be... well, aesthetically unpleasing.
Its bad enough that due to my MTS, I now have three aquariums in my small apartment living room (plus two in my kitchen, one on my desk and another planned for my bedroom). Id just rather be able to hide as much of the hardware as I can. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom